Sign in to follow this  
joefremont

[FSX/P3D] Around the world in 175 days part 9, Sitka, Yakutat, Seward

April 13, 1924:  They could not leave on the 11th because of heavy rain.  It rained, hailed and snowed on the 12th, they flyer were kept busy keeping trying to protect there aircraft that kept loosing there anchors,  but on the 13th it was clear and calm so they took on extra fuel so they could reach 625 miles to Seward in case the weather was clear at their initial destination of Cordova.  With Lt Wade in the lead they took off, the good weather did not last long and they flew in violent snowstorms.  Wade flew at 100 feet over the shore line with the others in formation behind as they tried to avoid the mountains that would loom up in their way…

June 24, 2017:  Today I will by flying the de Havilland DH.82 Tiger moth.  The tiger moth first flew in 1932 and was an evolution of the earlier DH.60 Moth.  It was used as the primary trainer for the RAF and many other Air forces until the late 50’s and is still operated by many private individuals and flying clubs.  Well over 8000 were built.  Today I will be using the model built by Ant’s Airplanes and I like this model enough that it is setup as the default aircraft when I load flight sim.

There are many more capable aircraft from the early 30’s I could have used but I did not want to pass up the TM, but it does not have the range to make Seward so instead the destination will be Yakutat Alaska, 201 nm away.  Conditions at Sitka were good for flying, light winds and about a 8k ceiling and started off happily around 4000 ft but soon had to drop to 1000 ft as the clouds got heavier and it started to rain.  Lots of cool glaciers to see as we headed along the coast.  The weather lighted up as we got close to Yakutat and the flight took 2.3 hours later.  Here are a few pics from the flight.

wc.1.3.1.1.jpg
Ready for takeoff.

wc.1.3.1.2.jpg
On our way, good flying weather near Sitka.

wc.1.3.1.3.jpg
Weather is closing in, our first Glacier along the way.

wc.1.3.1.4.jpg
More glaciers.

wc.1.3.1.5.jpg
Weather is clearing up.

wc.1.3.1.6.jpg
Scenery along the way.

wc.1.3.1.7.jpg
On approach to Yakutat.

wc.1.3.1.8.jpg
Secured.

April 13, 1924:  The planes continued on 10 feet above the breakers, "The beach was covered in snow and the air around us was filled with it", Nelson Wrote.  Arnold wrote in his diary "I hope we never have to fly through such thick weather again".  The weather broke into clear skies and unlimited visibility as they approached Cordova, so instead of landing there they continued on to Seward.  Major Martin later sent a letter of apology to the Mayor of Cordova when he learned they had prepared a reception and dinner in their honor.

June 25, 2017:  Today I planned to use the De Havilland DH.89 Dragon Rapide. The DH.89 first flew in 1934 and went on to become perhaps the most successful British built short-haul commercial passenger aircraft of the 1930s.  The model I will be using today is by Dave Garwood and the CBFS design team and is excellent.

Flying weather today was excellent, Clear, scattered clouds, easy flying until I got close to Montague island when the clouds started to thicken up.  Knowing the island was in front of me I decided to go over  the small cloud in front of me but then saw that the clouds extended for quite some distance beyond i headed for the nearest hole in the clouds to head back to low level, I had to drop to 600 feet to get below the clouds.  The clouds broke about 15 minute later and I could climb back to 1500 ft and cruised along the coast until i reached the mouth of Resurrection Bay, then up the bay and a landed at Seward. I traveled the 297 nm from Yakutat to Seward in 3.1 hours.

Here are the pics:

wc.1.3.2.1.jpg
Where did these guys come from, well there the passangers, looks like they are headed to a Grunge concert or something, hope they enjoy the flight.

wc.1.3.2.2.jpg
Climbing out over Yakutat Bay.

wc.1.3.2.3.jpg
Glamour shots.

wc.1.3.2.4.jpg
Clounds starting to close in.

wc.1.3.2.5.jpg
Trying to get under them.

wc.1.3.2.6.jpg
Clear skies again.

wc.1.3.2.7.jpg
Resurrection Bay

wc.1.3.2.8.jpg
The town of Seward Alaska.

wc.1.3.2.9.jpg
Secure at Seward.

Yes, I know that's nine, I have tried to stay to eight but its such a pretty plane, sorry.

Edited by tonywob
Added simulator tag
  • Upvote 2

Wonderful account...the worst weather on the planet for flying....great collection of historic aircraft!

HLJAMES

• Upvote 1

I read this series with interest and I enjoy it very much. This is a unique connection of aviation history and amazing flight simming screen shots. I am looking forward to the next legs.

Have to say that I did several round-the-world tours with a DC-6, a B727 and a Tu-134, but your project is topping those by far...

Regards,

Harald

P.S. You did never wish to fly the Citation that is parked at Yakutat instead of your Moth? If no, I can fully understand it...

• Upvote 1

Harald Geyer
   Gründer der Messerschmitt Freunde Dresden v. V.

lYI9iQV.jpg

19 hours ago, HaraldG said:

I read this series with interest and I enjoy it very much. This is a unique connection of aviation history and amazing flight simming screen shots. I am looking forward to the next legs.

Have to say that I did several round-the-world tours with a DC-6, a B727 and a Tu-134, but your project is topping those by far...

Regards,

Harald

P.S. You did never wish to fly the Citation that is parked at Yakutat instead of your Moth? If no, I can fully understand it...

Thanks for the encouragement.  I have also done world tours in a DC-6, B747, B707 and I am finding this much more engaging and as you suspected I was not ready to jump into the Citation for the next leg.