Sign in to follow this  

NDB/DME approach question

I must be missing something obvious but I am trying to fly the NDB RWY 33 approach into Fagernes, Norway. This is the chart:

https://ais.avinor.no/no/AIP/View/17/aip/ad/enfg/EN_AD_2_ENFG_5-4_en.pdf

The chart says DME is required and it shows various DME distances but... what frequency do I enter into the DME device...? It needs a VOR freq but I can't see any on the chart? The chart does show CH42X LL as DME but what the heck should I do with that information?

Looking at the LIDO chart for the same procedure, it's the DME from the ILS  (110.5, also with ident LL). One of the downsides of using charts not designed for pilots! 

FWIW, each DME channel is paired with a particular VHF NAV frequency so you could also look up the frequency associated with Channel 42X.

2 hours ago, skelsey said:

Looking at the LIDO chart for the same procedure, it's the DME from the ILS  (110.5, also with ident LL). One of the downsides of using charts not designed for pilots! 

FWIW, each DME channel is paired with a particular VHF NAV frequency so you could also look up the frequency associated with Channel 42X.

Ah! Thanks! Yes, I had a look at the LOC approach and that one indeed shows the frequency for LL!

EDIT

Just managed to fly the NDB approach, which was a first for me. Worked out pretty nice! Doing these kind of approaches with the A2A Cherokee (and no GPS) is great!