Sign in to follow this  
Nouknitouk

P3d 4.1 - GPU suddently goes to 100%

Hi Folks,

I have found that locking frame rates has a significant effect on the relationship between CPU and GPU usage.

With a 120 Hz monitor and unlimited frames I get very high GPU usage and frames generally over 90 fps, although when stressed it will drop to around 60fps. Locking frames to 60 fps I can maintain very near 60 fps and GPU usage drops to the 40%-60% range. Locked at 30fps cuts down GPU usage even more but TrackIR isn't as smooth so I keep mine at 60fps. The locked frames also keeps my 1080Ti nice and cool. In any of these scenarios P3D v4 has been very smooth.

While I am not good at explaining the technical reasons for this; it remains true that is is all about balance. There is a very interesting thread on this subject here: https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/522852-locking-frame-rate/

Jesse

Jesse Cochran
"... eyes ever turned skyward"

P3D v5.3 Professional, Windows 10 Professional, Jetline GTX, Gigabyte Aorus X299 Gaming 7 mobo, i7 7740X @ 4.9 GHz, Corsair H115i Liquid Cooling, 32Gb SDRAM @ 3200MHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX1080Ti @ 11 GB

ORBX Global + NALC, ASP3D, ASCA, ENVTEX, TrackIR, Virtual-Fly Yoko Yoke, TQ6+, Ruddo+ Rudder Pedals