Sign in to follow this  
G7USL

Feathering and Mixture Controls?

I have a CH usb Yoke with the three sliding controls and several G.A. aircraft.I know the purpose of the throttle and the mixture controls but, can someone explain the proper use of the middle feather control please?I am under the impression that you start your engines with the props flat (Lever right forward) after take-off I understand that the feathering lever should be pulled back so that the props will work harder? When I do this the aircraft actually slow's?Am I missing something, please advise?Dave T. .........On the Devon Riviera and active 'FlightSim User's Group' member at http://www.flightsimgrpuk.free-online.co.uk/http://www.captainsim.com/user/dl/c130/c130_captain.gif

Dave Taylor gb.png

Guest paulri

What you are mising is the proper use of that "middle control". The prop control is used to adjust prop RPM in flight, setting proper RPM for takeoff (normally full forward), climb, cruise, etc per the POH. Feather is only used when an engine quits, to stop the prop from windmilling and creating drag. Paul

Hi Dave,Not all prop aircraft have variable speed props. The default Cessna 172 is an example of a "fixed pitch" prop - on these aircraft, just leave the pitch control in the full forward position. On aircraft that have have variable pitch or "constant speed" props, the pitch lever is used to select a high rpm for climb, and then reduced rpm for cruise. It's kind of like shifting gears on transmission. Consult the manual for the aircraft you are flying to get the correct rpm settings. If you don't bother with manuals, use full forward for takeoff, reduce to upper part of the green arc on the rpm gage during climbout, and then the middle of the green arc for cruise.Dale

Dale

Just one thing to remember, when reducing power its Power (Throttle), Pitch, Mixture, and when increasing power its Mixture, Pitch, Power.I just recently completed my twin endorsement on a Duchess; a typical circuit for it goes like this....Line Up T/O - Mixture - Pitch - Power fully forwardPositive rate of climb - Gear Up, Flaps Up, 25" MP (power/throttle), 2500RPM (pitch) maintain blue line (85kts)300 feet AGL - left fuel pump OFF - check fuel pressure, right fuel pump OFF - check fuel pressure500 feet AGL - turn crosswind1000 feet AGL - turn downwind (usually we make an almost continuous turn from upwind to downwind or begin turn at 800 feet AGL) set power 20" and 2300RPM (will give you around 120kts) and make downwind callEstablished downwind