flyinion

Is the 8700K the current cpu to get?

Just double checking that the 8700K seems to be the current CPU to get for FSX:SE and other sims?  It shows as highest single thread performance on passmark which I'm assuming is still important for stuff like current P3D and XP?  I'm still running FSX:SE only but I'm looking to upgrade my 3+ year old 4790K in the next year.  When I built the 4790K I was kind of wanting to get a 6+ core CPU for more multi-thread performance for video/photo editing but it seems like the 8700K will satisfy that even though it doesn't score nearly as high as Skylake in the multi-thread benchmarks?  Whatever I get would be paired with a new 8GB GTX1070 (my 780 died last weekend) and 16-32GB of RAM along with a 500GB SSD for sims and OS.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I wouldn't buy anything until the Intel/ kernel exploit is resolved.

1 minute ago, odourboy said:

I wouldn't buy anything until the Intel/ kernel exploit is resolved.

Yeah it's going to be probably 6-8 months easily before I buy anything actually.  I have some other $$$$$ stuff that needs to be upgraded first this year (15 year old home theater stuff).  I had been planning on the PC upgrade after that.  Of course that was also before my video card died and I unexpectedly had to replace it since the video card is a big part of why I wanted to upgrade I could probably hold off some now since the single thread performance of 4790K vs 8700K is pretty close.  From what I've read about the exploit thing though the patches will mostly affect datacenter type applications and single user desktop PC's really shouldn't see much/any impact.  Of course we'll see once stuff goes live.  Good thing I updated 3DMark benchmarks last weekend now I'll have a reference.