Sign in to follow this  
LevelMind

737NG maximum flaps speed

Hi,

Just above the landing gear lever in the 737NG there's a small placard with the maximum operating speed for flaps, where it says: FLAPS LIMIT (IAS) 1 - 250kts 2 - 250kts etc...

Having said that, one would think that is the case, however, during many of my approches, I have noticed that this applies for flaps 1-5, however, thereafter, the amber band on top of the speed tape, tends to go below 210kts (which is the stated flaps 10 speed on the placard) and as far as I'm aware, the amber band displays what the overspeed area will move to once you select the next stage of flaps. In other words, that makes me think that the max flap speed for (in this case) flaps 10 is acutally lower than 210kts even though it's stated to be 210kts.
Therefore, my question is, does the max flap speed depend on weight/wind, and the placard numbers are just for a reference, or is there any other reason that this is the case?

Thanks in advance!

LevelMind

Flaps 10 is not normally selected during approach.  The normal sequence is to go straight from 5 to 15 and this is the logic that the display follows. 

Brian W

KPAE