Sign in to follow this  
Jim Young

Wrong Information for P3DV4 Users!

I see a lot of wrong/bad information put out in these forums and it just makes my blood pressure boil when I see it happening :angry:.  Recently though, I discovered I might have made a wrong (okay bad) recommendation to many P3DV4 users :blush:.  I have been telling some P3DV4 users to check their dll.xml for two Carenado entries as follows:

<Launch.Addon>
      <Name>CMeteoXml</Name>
      <Disabled>False</Disabled>
      <Path>.\CMeteoXml.dll</Path>
   </Launch.Addon>
   <Launch.Addon>
      <Name>Carenavigraph</Name>
      <Path>.\Carenavigraph.dll</Path>
   </Launch.Addon>

I suggested changing those to the 64-bit versions by linking them to the 64-bit modules in the main P3Dv4.  I figured the Carenado installers failed to do this when installing their products in P3DV4.  The P3DV4 folder has the 32-bit and the 64-bit versions so thought it was a good recommendation.

This morning I checked my dll.xml and saw the entries were not to the 64-bit version so changed the links to the respective x64 modules like I was telling everyone else to do.  I also decided to take the PMDG 738 out for a ride to San Francisco and loaded a flight from FSDT KLAX.  When it finished loading I saw a black screen for about 30 seconds and then the LAX terminal starting to render and then a CTD.

I had successful flights prior to changing the Carenado modules to x64.  I changed the entries back to the entries above and now no crashes.  So please do not listen to my previous suggestions in other threads to make sure the Carenado entries are linked to the x64 bit versions.  My apologies to all for the wrong advice.

Further research:  AppCrashView indicated the faulting module was ucrtbase.dll which caused couatl.exe to stop working.  The reason for the exception (crash) was "the system detected an overrun of a stack-based buffer in this application.  This overrun could potentially allow a malicious user to gain control of this application."  Evidently the Carenado x64 modules were causing a stack overrun and, according to Microsoft, this error is thrown to prevent untrustworthy data gaining access. 

Best regards,

Jim

• Upvote 3

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

On 2/19/2018 at 4:06 AM, Jim Young said:

I see a lot of wrong/bad information put out in these forums and it just makes my blood pressure boil when I see it happening :angry:.  Recently though, I discovered I might have made a wrong (okay bad) recommendation to many P3DV4 users :blush:.  I have been telling some P3DV4 users to check their dll.xml for two Carenado entries as follows:

<Launch.Addon>
      <Name>CMeteoXml</Name>
      <Path>.\CMeteoXml.dll</Path>
   </Launch.Addon>
   <Launch.Addon>
      <Name>Carenavigraph</Name>
      <Path>.\Carenavigraph.dll</Path>
   </Launch.Addon>

I suggested changing those to the 64-bit versions by linking them to the 64-bit modules in the main P3Dv4.  I figured the Carenado installers failed to do this when installing their products in P3DV4.  The P3DV4 folder has the 32-bit and the 64-bit versions so thought it was a good recommendation.

This morning I checked my dll.xml and saw the entries were not to the 64-bit version so changed the links to the respective x64 modules like I was telling everyone else to do.  I also decided to take the PMDG 738 out for a ride to San Francisco and loaded a flight from FSDT KLAX.  When it finished loading I saw a black screen for about 30 seconds and then the LAX terminal starting to render and then a CTD.

I had successful flights prior to changing the Carenado modules to x64.  I changed the entries back to the entries above and now no crashes.  So please do not listen to my previous suggestions in other threads to make sure the Carenado entries are linked to the x64 bit versions.  My apologies to all for the wrong advice.

Further research:  AppCrashView indicated the faulting module was ucrtbase.dll which caused couatl.exe to stop working.  The reason for the exception (crash) was "the system detected an overrun of a stack-based buffer in this application.  This overrun could potentially allow a malicious user to gain control of this application."  Evidently the Carenado x64 modules were causing a stack overrun and, according to Microsoft, this error is thrown to prevent untrustworthy data gaining access. 

Best regards,

Jim

Hi Jim,

I am searching for a solution to my Carenado aircraft weather radars not working at all, and i came across this post of yours.  Currently I have the Carenado C90 GTX installed in P3DV4.2, and no matter what weather I use I can not get any returns on the weather radar.

I notice you are talking about a 64 bit version of CMeteoXml.dll, butI don't seem to have that installed, even after a fresh installation of the P3DV4 version of that aircraft.  I have the entries you mention in my dll.xml file, and the only CMeteoXml.dll files I have installed in the P3DV4 folder are CMeteoXml.dll and CMeteoXml.dll.intermediate.manifest.

I also have error messages in my Content.log file which state:

[error.51]
error=Error loading "C:\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\Carenavigraph.dll" in "C:\Users\Admin\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\DLL.xml".

[error.52]
error=Error loading "C:\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\CMeteoXml.dll" in "C:\Users\Admin\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\DLL.xml".  DLL is 32 bit.  A 64 bit version is required.

Are you aware of any fixes to these issues.

Cheers,

Scott

When you install the Carenado C90 you have to select installation to P3DV4.  You should then have the 64 bit versions of the CTMeteoxmlx64 and Carenavigraphx64.dll installed. If you do not have the 64 bit versions installed, then you won't see the files.  I use ASP4 for weather so do not have any need for the Carenado weather gauge.  I suppose it works okay or Carenado would not have published it.

• Upvote 1

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Thanks Jim,

I installed the C90 GTX (P3DV4 version) fresh tonight and it definitely didn't install CMeteoXmlx64.dll, however I tried the B200 in P3DV4 and that installer did install the CMeteoXmlx64.dll file.  Unfortunately the weather radar still isn't working, so I'm just going to leave it for now.  I have spent long enough troubleshooting it.  The P3D content error log says both Carenado dlls are failing to load for some reason.

Thanks for your reply.

Cheers

Scott

1 hour ago, scotth6 said:

The P3D content error log says both Carenado dlls are failing to load for some reason.

I have disabled the CTMeteo entry in the dll.xml (change the disabled line from false to true).  Make sure the carenavigraphx64.dll is being loaded and not the 32 bit version.  For me, the 32 bit version is always installed but believe it is because the installer gets confused as I have fsx (boxed) installed too.

• Upvote 1

Submit News to AVSIM

Thanks for the tips Jim.  I will give it a go.

Cheers,