Sign in to follow this  

Thank you very much for your informative replies. First I have to buy a new computer because I promised this one to my grandson. So, I will buy the computer but with some modifications as per your suggestions. 

On 3/11/2018 at 3:09 PM, vortex681 said:

16GB RAM is more than enough

I will drop the 32 GB ram to 16 GB

On 3/11/2018 at 9:08 PM, dmiannay said:

but would suggest upping the M2 SSD to 512GB.

That would increase the price by $550.  Too much, I will try to manage with 256.

On 3/12/2018 at 8:58 PM, Boomer said:

Different now with p3d v4 and XP11, both 64 bit that will eat up all modern hardware

It crossed my mind to move on to p3d but I spent a substantial amount of money on add-ons and I am not sure how many of those would be compatible, if any, with p3d.  I am quite happy with fsx.

On 3/13/2018 at 9:40 AM, dazz said:

So Marcel, if you were planning on doing a fresh install in your new machine, try doing that on your current one

I've done that a number of times with no noticeable improvement.

On 3/13/2018 at 9:40 AM, dazz said:

If the OP isn't running stuff that is taking up more than 12GB

I don't think I do. The only large software I use is Band-in-Box.  Never had a problem with that software but I don't know how voracious it is in operation.

On 3/13/2018 at 4:04 PM, dazz said:

I dunno, maybe if Marcel tells us exactly what he means when he says he can't fly over dense sceneries, what FPS he's getting there and some more detailed info like the settings he's using, we can determine whether his performance issues can only be solved adding raw power or there's something else going on

I tried many suggested tweaks, but my config and settings are as per AVSIM FSX configuration Guide.  Scenery load slowly, have black spots at low altitude, when changing view to panel, they are all grey for a long time, skeleton planes for a long time and FSX freezes for a while and starts again.  I set FSPUIC to monitor VAS but many times, specially with the PMDG 747 v3, I run OOM.

I don't want to have one built because I will have to commute to the city and I don't want to built one my self as I don't have the knowledge to do that and have no desire to learn at my venerable age.  Dell will deliver it free of charge to my door.

Thanks again for your help. I don't post a lot here, but I receive a wealth of knowledge and solved many problems by searching and surfing this site.  You guys are great!

Marcel.

38 minutes ago, Marcan said:

I tried many suggested tweaks, but my config and settings are as per AVSIM FSX configuration Guide.  Scenery load slowly, have black spots at low altitude, when changing view to panel, they are all grey for a long time, skeleton planes for a long time and FSX freezes for a while and starts again.  I set FSPUIC to monitor VAS but many times, specially with the PMDG 747 v3, I run OOM.

Ouch. I'm afraid those OOM issues won't go away with the new machine. Not if you stick with FSX since it's a 32 bit application and will only allocate 4GB tops. All those addons are simply eating up all of your FSX VAS space. I think I read somewhere the steam edition of FSX is a bit better at managing memory. Not sure though. 

If you're running out of VAS your only options are to lower your settings and/or disable addons