SirTommy

Sky Simulations DC-9 Liveries Won't Work

I recently got FS9 up and running because I like the FPS I get with big jets and big cities. So, after reading reviews, I decided to get the Sky Simulations DC-9. The screen shots and video at the store show different liveries, so, I thought, "Great, I can use it with the USAir livery (which has some sentimental value to me). I got the aircraft and it works fine, but, no liveries came with it. So, on the Sky Simulations website, I found where they had buries the extra liveries. Problem is they don't work. I tried them on my Windows 7 64 bit, and I tried them on my old Windows XP computer. They won't work at all. It's just an installer that gives an error message (this application is not compatible with your version of Windows...contact the software developer...).

Contacted Sky Simulations support but have had no answer. Was wondering if anyone here had any suggestions or had been through the same ordeal. I realize it's an older add on, but it seems like if they are still selling the aircraft and advertising it with different liveries, those liveries should still be accessible and usable.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Posted (edited)

It sounds like they are using 16bit installers. These don't run on 64bit systems and give the error you mentioned. If you have access to an old XP machine you can run them there and then copy the liveries to your Win 7 machine.

Edit: Sorry, just read you had already tried them on a XP machine. Not sure what else the problem may be apart from what I mentioned. I would expect they should've ran on the XP machine. You can try running as admin and compatibility modes to see if it works.

Edited by Skywatcher

Thanks for the suggestions. So far no luck. On the XP machine the error said something about the installer being corrupted, so I tried using a different browser to download it. Still didn't work. I'm hoping I'll hear back from Sky Simulations with a solution...eventually. 

I tried to download a livery to try and run it but appears not even the downloads are working. Hope you get a response.

• Like 1

I've also tried downloading these files with Internet Explorer, Microsoft Edge and Chrome - only Edge will download the file, with the filename ending _exe instead of .exe. Changing it manually to .exe doesn't work, therefore the problem is definitely at SkySim's end. Good luck with getting a solution, hopefully they'll email the files to you without you having to download them.

• Like 1

Okay, thanks, at least I know it's not just me doing something wrong.

Update:

Finally heard back from Sky Simulations and they took care of me. Apparently, they had a massive server crash at some point which caused problems with a lot of their files.