Sign in to follow this  
OAL809

EDTO vs ETOPS

Hello fellow simmers.

What is the difference between EDTO and ETOPS operations?

I have searched the net few times in the past but i did not fully understand.

from pprune forum :    - ETOPS in EASA is not the same as ETOPS in the states or EDTO for the Aussies.
                                      in EU land ETOPS is for twins.

-  EDTO applies to all aircraft. ETOPS twins only

- EDTO less restrictive for the operator. (Not as generous as ETOPS eg weather window duration, min FFS required)

All that correct?

Edited by OAL809

One might consider EDTO as applying to twins as well.  My simplistic view is that ETOPS, EROPS or EDTO is a concept that generally means the same thing, but the details vary according to the jurisdiction or authority publishing the rules.  So to be precise you need to add if you are referring to ICAO or FAA or other jurisdiction.  FAA Part 135 still uses the ETOPS label.

Dan Downs KCRP

ETOPS (meaning Extended Twin Operations or Extended Operations) are rules which were originally created to allow two-engine airliners to fly beyond 60 minutes from an airport. Different ETOPS ratings are available. Typical two-engine ratings are ETOPS-120 (minutes) and ETOPS-180 (minutes). The higher the rating, the more demanding and costly it is to receive and maintain approval.

EDTO (meaning Extended Diversion Time Operation) is a flight by a turbine powered aircaft where, assuming ISA and still air conditions, the time at the one engine inoperative cruise speed from a point en route to an adequate diversion airfield is greater than the following;

a) Twin engine aircraft certificated to carry more than 19 passengers or 3410 kilograms payload - 90 minutes.

b) Aircraft engaged in passenger carrying operations but not certificated to carry more than 19 passengers - 180 minutes.

c) Aircraft with more than 2 engines - 180 minutes

Incidentally, there are a few destination airfields around the world where no adequate alternate is available, such as the Seychelles. it is normal in these cases to plan to arrive overhead carrying sufficient fuel to hold for two hours (this is called Island Reserve).

Bertie Goddard

14 hours ago, berts said:

ETOPS (meaning Extended Twin Operations or Extended Operations) are rules which were originally created to allow two-engine airliners to fly beyond 60 minutes from an airport. Different ETOPS ratings are available. Typical two-engine ratings are ETOPS-120 (minutes) and ETOPS-180 (minutes). The higher the rating, the more demanding and costly it is to receive and maintain approval.

EDTO (meaning Extended Diversion Time Operation) is a flight by a turbine powered aircaft where, assuming ISA and still air conditions, the time at the one engine inoperative cruise speed from a point en route to an adequate diversion airfield is greater than the following;

a) Twin engine aircraft certificated to carry more than 19 passengers or 3410 kilograms payload - 90 minutes.

b) Aircraft engaged in passenger carrying operations but not certificated to carry more than 19 passengers - 180 minutes.

c) Aircraft with more than 2 engines - 180 minutes

Incidentally, there are a few destination airfields around the world where no adequate alternate is available, such as the Seychelles. it is normal in these cases to plan to arrive overhead carrying sufficient fuel to hold for two hours (this is called Island Reserve).

Bertie Goddard

My airline flies to three destinations that require Island Reserve (Wake Island, Ascension Island and Diego Garcia) and perhaps it’s a difference of the regulating body, but our reserve fuel is two hours at normal cruise. So, fuel to destination plus two hours. 

International operations is as you described in that we need fuel to destination, plus 10% of time enroute at last cruise altitude, plus fuel to alternate plus 30 minutes at holding speed 1500 feet above field altitude. 

My airline also operates under 121 Supplemental and not 121 Flag, so that may account for the difference as well.

2 hours ago, swood721 said:

My airline flies to three destinations that require Island Reserve (Wake Island, Ascension Island and Diego Garcia) and perhaps it’s a difference of the regulating body, but our reserve fuel is two hours at normal cruise. So, fuel to destination plus two hours. 

International operations is as you described in that we need fuel to destination, plus 10% of time enroute at last cruise altitude, plus fuel to alternate plus 30 minutes at holding speed 1500 feet above field altitude. 

My airline also operates under 121 Supplemental and not 121 Flag, so that may account for the difference as well.

United? 

Ron Hamilton

"95% is half the truth, but most of it is lies, but if you read half of what is written, you'll be okay." __ Honey Boo Boo's Mom

I always had to ride a C-141 to get to Ascension Island.  I doubt that United is the company, perhaps a DoD contractor such as Atlas?

Dan Downs KCRP

On 4/26/2018 at 1:25 AM, OAL809 said:

Hello fellow simmers.

from pprune forum :    - ETOPS in EASA is not the same as ETOPS in the states or EDTO for the Aussies.

- EDTO less restrictive for the operator. (Not as generous as ETOPS eg weather window duration, min FFS required)

All that correct?

In simple terms, ETOPS only applies to Twins and EDTO covers the quads like the 747/A380/A340 etc. 

In in terms of fuel planning they are the same. 

On 4/26/2018 at 1:25 AM, OAL809 said:

Hello fellow simmers.

All that correct?

In simple terms, ETOPS only applies to Twins and EDTO covers the quads like the 747/A380/A340 etc. 

On 4/27/2018 at 1:03 AM, Driverab330 said:

This isn't strictly correct, because this will very much depend on several factors on the day.  For example, much stricter En-route Alternate weather, navaid and performance requirements will normally apply to twin engined ETOPS flights, but not to non-ETOPS flights or 3 and 4 engined aircraft.  Much will also depend on whether or not the En-route Alternate is being considered at the planning stage as either a suitable airfield or an adequate airfield.  There are operational differences between these two categories of airfiled to consider and they will often be the deciding factor on which airfileds can be planned or used in flight and this will obviously affect the total amount of fuel the aircraft will need to carry.  However, these special ETOPS restrictions do not normally apply to airfields which are designated as available for emergency use.

Bertie G