Sign in to follow this  
John_Cillis

Alabeo's beautiful Cessna 310 over the Socal Inland Empire

Love to fly that area...it has fantastic color and texture...outstanding screenshots!

HLJAMES

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, HLJames said:

Love to fly that area...it has fantastic color and texture...outstanding screenshots!

HLJAMES

Thanks.  I moved from Chicago to Burbank in '66.  I lived in Socal for a year, a little boy living a fantasy life with many trips to Disneyland.  I first flew in '66 on PSA (Pacific Southwest Airlines), on their Lockheed Electras and 727's between SF and Oakland, to be with my father who commuted from Socal to Mare Island where he worked as a health physicist, helping launch the Navy's nuclear sub and carrier program.  He knew John McCain, Admiral Rickover, and Jimmy Carter before moving to the Nuclear Regulatory Comission.  Admiral Rickover, known for his overbearing managerial style, wanted to retain my father, a civilian, in the Navy and tried to stop his transfer to the NRC.  Three Mile Island had just happened and my father was consulting on the recovery.  My father had already written all the nuclear safety regs in the Navy which still stand to this day.  John McCain and Jimmy Carter intervened, allowing my Father's transfer to the NRC where he remained until retirement as lead health physicist for the Western US, inspecting and ensuring that all Nuclear facilities in the Western US complied with health safety regulations.  I and my entire family had to be cleared by the FBI and sworn to secrecy that we would never reveal how my father worked, not that I understood a darn thing about what he did.  I admire what he did, we have had a great nuclear safety record in the US thanks to his work, which dated back to '60's.  Sadly, his lifelong exposure to radiation caused him to get cancer.  He passed away in '99, just six month's shy of my daughter's birth.  Today we all live under the umbrella of his health safety guidelines in the Nuclear Age.  He was even asked to go to Chernobyl after the disaster there, but he had to decline due to security issues.

John

• Like 2