Sign in to follow this  
Scurra

Manipulating Service-Based Failures

Recommended Posts

Hi everyone,

I am using the Boeing 737 NGX and I am missing a function of simulation random failures. So far, I know that it is possible to set programmed failure but it is somehow boring because if I set an programmed failure then I know already what is the problem.

As I have seen, service-based failures contain already random errors and the timers seem to be saved in the panel-state (file ...fxml.sav for each aircraft). Unfortunately, I do not know the meaning of all the values saved in that file. Is there anywhere a documentation or somethink like that? What I what to do is to manipulate the timers such that the service-based failures occur earlier/more often.

Thank you in advance for any help!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

1 hour ago, Scurra said:

Hi everyone,

I am using the Boeing 737 NGX and I am missing a function of simulation random failures. So far, I know that it is possible to set programmed failure but it is somehow boring because if I set an programmed failure then I know already what is the problem.

As I have seen, service-based failures contain already random errors and the timers seem to be saved in the panel-state (file ...fxml.sav for each aircraft). Unfortunately, I do not know the meaning of all the values saved in that file. Is there anywhere a documentation or somethink like that? What I what to do is to manipulate the timers such that the service-based failures occur earlier/more often.

Thank you in advance for any help!

Welcome at the forums. Please note we require users to sign their full names first and last in each post otherwise the post might be deleted. We recommend to set up a signature so that you do not have to worry each time.

the timers for the failures are saves in the registration.ini file of each aircraft.  There is no available documentation. Service based failures are depending on time accumulation on the airframe. The only way is to keep flying and not doing maint. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Olympic260 said:

the timers for the failures are saves in the registration.ini file of each aircraft.  There is no available documentation. Service based failures are depending on time accumulation on the airframe. The only way is to keep flying and not doing maint. 

Thank you for your reply.

Taking into account that the timers are between 500 and 1000 hours it will take a while until a failure occurs since my average flight time is around 4 hours a week... Do failures occur right in the moment the timer reaches 0 hours or can they also occur earlier/later?

Is the registration.ini-file the file located in the ...\PMDG\PMDG 737 NGX\Aircraft\ sub-folder?

Well, you are writing that it is not possible to accelerate or change the timer-values in order to reach a higher failure-rate. Is this correct?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Scurra said:

Thank you for your reply.

Taking into account that the timers are between 500 and 1000 hours it will take a while until a failure occurs since my average flight time is around 4 hours a week... Do failures occur right in the moment the timer reaches 0 hours or can they also occur earlier/later?

Is the registration.ini-file the file located in the ...\PMDG\PMDG 737 NGX\Aircraft\ sub-folder?

Well, you are writing that it is not possible to accelerate or change the timer-values in order to reach a higher failure-rate. Is this correct?

No will not occur when timer reaches zero. There is a probability that it will happen some time after the zero time reached. The registration.ini is in the folder you indicated.

you can change the timers by hand if you want but since there is no available documentation about this I am wouldn’t touch it. You can activate random failures though. Have you tried this? For example x failures in x hours 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Olympic260 said:

No will not occur when timer reaches zero. There is a probability that it will happen some time after the zero time reached. The registration.ini is in the folder you indicated.

you can change the timers by hand if you want but since there is no available documentation about this I am wouldn’t touch it. You can activate random failures though. Have you tried this? For example x failures in x hours 

Ok, thank you for your help. I have already tried to modify the .ini file of the aircraft (as well as the file located in the PanelState subfolder) but I was not successful and used the backup I made for the file.

I forgot about the random failures which you mentioned in your last post. This is a good alternative for me. The rate of 1 failure per 10 hours seems to be a little bit high but better than waiting more than 100 or even 1000 hours. Thank you for the reminder :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 5/20/2018 at 11:58 AM, Scurra said:

to manipulate the timers such that the service-based failures occur earlier/more often.

As the name says, service-based failures depend on the service. Don‘t maintain your airplane and you run (or fly) into problems. Do the service and you‘re safe(r).

in numbers: don‘t refill the engine oil (as an example)

Edited by Ephedrin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this