Sign in to follow this  
Guest iholrf

FYI: DirectX Redist 0606 available since one month

Somehow missed this, just stumbled across the latest DirectX (June 2006) which is available from the MS download center.Andreas

Guest ha5mvo

any advantages in installing it??

No idea, but my philosophy is: newer software is usually less bug laden than older (and exceptions prove this rule).So, I'll install it anyway...Andreas

>No idea, but my philosophy is: newer software is usually less>bug laden than older (and exceptions prove this rule).>>So, I'll install it anyway...>>Andreasif there were any critical bugs in DirectX one would have problems in any application that use DirectX. Also FS9 doesn´t support any of the DirectX 9 features, i think at the time FS9 was released DirectX 8 was the standard. It is not always the best to update software like this just to be up to date. Without having installed that latest DirectX version i say there will be no improvements in FS9, maybe in FSX we will see some or all of the latest features implemented.Ron

FS9 came with DirectX 9.0a on the CDs.* Orest

Orest Skrypuch
President & CEO, UVA

www.united-virtual.com

>Why then does FS9 installation have a requirement for a "DX9.0>or later" graphics card?yup, that´s right, but in my opinion there is only one simple reason for that: earlier versions of DirectX are no more supported by MS. That´s why they say one must have such a graphic card and DirectX 9.Have a look at some pictures from FSX, there are DirectX 9 features fully implemented. Take the graphic from some modern games that support Direct3D and you will see the features of DirectX9.All i wanna say is that updating to the latest version of DirectX will for sure not positive affect FS9, in the same way the newest and fastest graphic card in the world will not bring any more performance gain in FS9. What we all need is a clean and optimized programmed FSX.Ron

Guest yarvelling

What is this 'new' DirectX? Is it an update to 9 or is it a beta for 10?If it's a beta for DX10, then surely no-one will see any benefits yet as there isn't any hardware for DX10 yet.....

It's not a new directX. It's mainly just tweaked Direct3d dll for DX9 AFAICT. They have been coming out every couple of months from MS. Sometimes I have run into an app that says it won't run unless the dll is updated.Note the before and after of DXDiag (I think there was an update also in April which I didn't do):Beforehttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/152360.jpgAfterhttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/152362.jpgNote the 2 new Direct3DX,dll versions.scott s..

Guest iholrf

>It's not a new directX. It's mainly just tweaked Direct3d>dll for DX9 AFAICT. They have been coming out every couple of>months from MS. Sometimes I have run into an app that says it>won't run unless the dll is updated.>>Note the before and after of DXDiag (I think there was an>update also in April which I didn't do):>Yup. You are indeed correct.It will not harm you system to upgrade. Some newer apps require it.The the others: No, FS9 is not DX9. Makemdl is actually DX7 optimized.CheersShad