Sign in to follow this  
John_Cillis

An RC powered glider flight I made some years ago

I made this video more than ten years ago, before drones and sky cameras were common, but the dawn of them was coming.  The glider was a 2-Axis, rudder and elevator sailplane, which I do not fly anymore, it crashed after a radio failure, so I gave up RC flying.  The company that made the glider even gave me a free replacement but I was so shaken, had it hit a car or something, that I gave it to a friend and told him to fly it at the RC parks on the outskirts of Phoenix.  The glider was advertised as a "park flyer" but had incredible airspeed, upwards to 30 mph, and it took 300 ft to land on grass.  It is probably the cheapest way to get into RC aviation, the newer model I believe has aileron control, although the older model worked just find using its dihedral and rudder to turn, I could even do wingovers with it and loops.

John

• Like 1

Nice. How did you mount the camera? It looks like it was dangling or something.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Murmur said:

Nice. How did you mount the camera? It looks like it was dangling or something.

The camera had an adjustable lens, the body was mounted on velcro, the lens was pointed downward towards the ground.  It was a good camera because unlike the GoPro at the time, it did not distort the ground nor was it too wide angle, shot at 640x480, the highest res available at the time.  Nowadays there are better cams, higher definition, that also can mount on velcro or on a mount such as in drones.

John