Sign in to follow this  
Kronovan

SimConnect FSX-SP1 Edition with FSX:SE - Should I be Concerned?

I've just recently discovered FS Economy, was impressed and decided to join in. When I read about installing the FS Economy client it mentioned there are 2 versions for FSX; a client that uses FSUIPC and one that uses SimConnect. To the best of my knowledge, the only other FSX:SE app I have that uses SimConnect is Active Sky Next; also own Accu-feel, but I don't think it uses it. I also have the FS Panel Android app, who's companion PC server app use FSUIPC.  Since SimConnect is the newer FSX technology I chose that version of the FS Economy client.

When I read the installation instructions, it  mentions that it must use a legacy/earlier edition of SimConnect that's not installed by default by FSX:SE. That would require me to run a SimConnect.msi installer located in the "\FSX\SDK\Core Utilities Kit\SimConnect SDK\LegacyInterfaces\FXS-SP1" folder. My concerns are that it reads like I'd then have 2 editions of SimConnect in my installation of FSX:SE, which worries me that it might negatively impact Active Sky Next. I admittedly have next to no knowledge of the architecture and workings of the SimConnect API.

If anyone here who knows SimConnect technology well and can comment as to whether the legacy and newer edition of SimConnect can harmoniously coexist in a single installations of FSX:SE, I'd really appreciate hearing about it.

Edited by Kronovan

The short answer is yes, SimConnect is designed to work that way - with different versions installed on the same computer.  Each program or gauge that uses Simconnect knows which version it is looking for and will load that particular one.  You will not be overwriting a new version with an old one.

Doug