Sign in to follow this  
ha5mvo

symbolic links

Hi,

Just got a new ssd in addition to the one I'm currently using, as its free space keeps getting smaller and smaller.

Now, since the bulk of the occupied space belongs to p4d and its addons that reside in either scenery, addons or documents folders I'd like to move some of that to the new drive to free up some space on the C drive.

I know one can create a sort of "link" or pointer in my p4d installation (residing on drive C) to keep the folder architecture intact, yet keeping the actual  space occupying data on another drive (in my case E).

So my question is really, how do I go about it?

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Thanks Jack,

Just one more question...

Does that mean that whenever I update or change something on drive C things will take effect on E?

And,

If I want for instance to free up some space on C then I cut and paste say the "documents" folder from C to E , then create a symbolic link between "documents" in C and "documents" in E?

Thanks again,

Mike

Hi

"Does that mean that whenever I update or change something on drive C things will take effect on E?"

Yes, it will update the date on the "E"-drive as it was on the "C"-drive.

I would not make a Sublink on the "documents" folder, there I will right-click on the "Documents" folder and select the "Location" tab and choose "move ..." (after making a backup ... :-)

/Jack