Sign in to follow this  
COLINTHOMAS

Square halos around strobe lights

Hi guys,

Can somebody please help me to get rid of the square halos around my strobe lights on the default Cessna C172 and the Posky 737-800?

I have Preview Directx 10 enabled. I have purchased and tried Steve's dx10 Fixer but without any success. 

Kindest regards

Colin

It sounds like a missing texture.  

First run the dx10 controller and tell me what you see if you use the diagnostics button.

Then from the top menu select the fsx.cfg editor and in the screen that you then see tick missing texture alert and press apply.  

Then run fsx and view the strobes and see if as I expect you get a popup window if you do note down the name of the missing texture.

then close fsx, run the controller again and turn off the missing texture setting as it’s very annoying if left turned on.

Hi Steve,

In answer to your instructions, please see what appeared after I clicked the diagnostics button.

Warning! Legacy Aircraft Shadows is set. May cause minor shadowing issues with normal aircraft.

Warning! Legacy Aircraft Force Shadows is set. May Impact performance and/or cause major shadowing issues with normal aircraft and black squares with legacy airport scenery.

Warning! 8 Bit Fix is set on. May cause issues with scenery or normal aircraft.

Hint! ForceVCShadowingMap not set in fsx.cfg. VC Shadows will only be shown for aircraft which explicitly set in the VC model.

BE AWARE! HD Shadows is set. Although this is recommended-be aware that external cameras closer to the aircraft than its wingspan will not show correct shadows.

I clicked the LEGACY button and then unchecked and applied the top 2 items. I also clicked the OTHER button and unchecked and applied the third item. I searched for ForceVCShadowsMap in my fsx.cfg but could not find any reference to ForceVCShadowsMap. I then went to the top menu as you suggested and selected the fsx.cfg editor and ticked missing texture alert and then applied. When I started FSX it stated "Failed to load Texture FX_2.bmp" another box stated "Failed to load Texture Hatch1.bmp" a further box indicated Failed to load Texture Hatch1_LM.bmp. i have looked in my FSX\Effects\Texture folder for these 3 files but none of them are there!

I continued to load FSX but the square halos around the strobe lights and beacon light are still there.

Kindest regards

Colin 

Edited by COLINTHOMAS
I forgot one sentence

Ok so fx_2.bmp is the  texture used by fsx for lights.  This is what I expected you would find, somewhere you have lost it.  If you have a friend you can copy it from their system else if you have another computer you could install steam there and install fsx and get a copy that way.

Steam has an option to check the integrity of files which would download it but it may also replace files changed by addons so I don't recommend this except as a last resort.

Hi Steve,

I've just copied the fx_2.bmp file from my P3DV4.3\effects\texture folder to my FSX\effects\texture folder and this appears to have resolved the problem. I did test it on a few default aircraft and payware aircraft and no more boxes around the strobe lights.

Would you please be so kind as to mark this post resolved? Thank you very much for your prompt action in helping me to resolve this problem.

Kindest regards

Colin 

Hi Steve,

Many thanks for getting back to me.

No, unfortunately I am still fogbound with the Just Flight/CLS A330-200 - A330-300 - A340-200 - A340-300 & the Wilco Airbus A400M. Can you offer any suggestions as to how I can resolve this problem?

Kindest regards

Colin