Sign in to follow this  
rhodges

Memory loss concerning after burner sound.

First my problem: I cannot find out how to retrieve the booming sound when the after burner kicks in on any of my applicable military jets which I have had successfully for years.I have had the following aircraft with repaints installed for at least the last three years. All have been excellent IMHO. However, I recently had to do a reinstall and have come up with my sound question relative to after burners. I believe the download sources are as stated but it is possible something might have been from a different party.Dino Cattaneo's F14DI also have an F14B assumed to be from the same contributor, but the Aircraft.cfg or any other documentation I see does not confirm this.Daisuke Yamamoto's F18E SuperhornetDavid Bushell's F15C and F15EI also have the Coral F15Kirk Olsson's F16 with Eric Marciano's modified panel as per Kirk's instruction. Note that I have tried both the ab_f16.zip and the DSB Typhoon adaptation in Kirk's earlier writeup.Best I remember, but after literally years I could be mistaken and the source could have been unique, one of these aircraft had a modification which provided the after burner sound. (Sounds just about like the sonic boom sound which does work perfectly. I would not be surprised if they are related). I believe that it was Mr. Olsson's F16, but after so long this old memory is far from certain. I am pretty sure that I copied from the bird that had this provision and modified all of these aircraft's panel.cfg, and possibly the aircraft.cfg for this provision. It worked great with all of them, although if I remember correctly the F16 needed to be picked first.I have tried copying my old files which were backed up for each aircraft along with gauge folders, and sound folders. I have also tried totally fresh installations. Memory tries to tell me that there is some text somewhere that is missing in the cfg files but I must admit that I don't see why relative to the backups. I have tried every combination I can think of, but am afraid I have not come up with the solution yet. Everything looks and works perfect except for the missing after burner sound.Any ideas?Thanks:RTH

Yes, I have some idea's :-)There are a lot of addon gauges/effects that control afterburners.Varying from a single boom sound at activation, a 10-sec dying-out sound or a contiguous sound while reheat is On.Either triggered in the effect file itself or an external gauge.Since you're talking about the single Boom sound:Check the AB effect file that is mentioned in the aircraft.cfg.Find that file (.fx) in the effects folder and open it with Notepad.At the top, does it say:Sound=5Sound Param=4??If so, your main sound folder should contain 3 .wav files, named:amb_aexp1*.wav, where * is a,b or c (there files are identical)If I recall correctly, these sounds originally where made by Jan Rosenberg for an FS2002 aircraft.Cheers, Rob BarendregtPS: I attached the file for your convinience :-)Just make two copies of it (*b and *c) and place them in the main sound folder.PS2: And yes, the same sound file was also used as SonicBoom sound in an old FS2002 SonicBoom gauge (also used that Sound parameter in it's effect file)PS3: There are better alternatives then just a single Boom sound when the AB is On (not very realistioc IMO).The simplest being a file uploaded by Jan Rosenberg (file fx_viper.zip), that has the 10-sec sound included.This requires that you change the Sound Param in your effect file to 37, and install the files amb_gexp4a.wav (and *b and *c)

Thanks ever so much Rob:You were right on the money and that fixed me up.As I suspected and said in my post I was pretty sure I was overlooking the obvious somewhere.The files:amb_aexp1a.wavamb_aexp1b.wavamb_aexpac.wavwere what I had overlooked. I looked in my backup sound folder and they were right there laughing at me.Works like a charm now, but I will take a peek at the other options you recommended. I am always open to a better mousetrap.Thanks again:RTH