Sign in to follow this  
Chock

Barton Aerodrome today

Posted (edited)

Couple of phone pics I took of Barton Aerodrome (or Manchester City Airport as they call it these days) today whilst I was there getting my CAA medical check. The very cool 1930s-era control tower at Barton and the GA parking bit near the tower.

9G05i9A.jpg

wYE2Nxp.jpg

Edited by Chock
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Nice pictures, I miss England from last year.  My fav part of my visit there was going from London to Dover to take the Calais ferry, and the return trip.  I was stunned by the traffic in London and that I could cover more ground on foot than in our coach, which crawled thru the London city streets.  I really got to enjoy Heathrow flying home to Phoenix, I got there way early so I could eat a good lunch and I just browsed the shops in the terminal mall afterwards until shortly before boarding the non stop home.  Now Phoenix also has non stop service to Frankfurt on Condor, I believe it will only be seasonal though unless it gains in popularity.  I prefer a couple days of London and the ferry to the continent.  I marveled at the size of the ferry, the biggest ship I have ever traveled on although I have been on the USS Missouri in Honolulu and the Midway aircraft carrier, but they were not moving anywhere, lol.  I have also been underwater in a real life submarine down to a depth of about 30 meters off the coast of Honolulu.  I booked the voyage for my daughter's birthday.  Lover of history my daughter and wife's favorite day was our day to Pearl Harbor.  In addition to the Missouri and the memorial we went into a WWII sub and I was amazed at how tight it was inside and what our sailors went thru serving on them.  I have also been on a German sub in Chicago at their Museum of Science and Industry, which I was born very close to in 1961.

My favorite civil airport in the US is Napa's airport where I used to live near, followed by Falcon Field and Glendale airports in Arizona which I took flight lessons from.  Falcon was a busy airport and one of my student flights I took off right behind a King Air 200 and had to stay cautious of wake turbulence in my small Allegro, smaller than a 152 but wider with a bigger useful load, also much lighter, lightest aircraft (fixed wind) I have ever flown on. 

John