Bob Familton

VGA GTX 580 Classified Ultra Fan Problem

I have an EVGA GTX 580 Classified Ultra 3 Gb. card with a single fan. The fan has stopped working. It is free to rotate without power. I have tried getting it to spin with power on with no success. Is there any easy way to determine if it is the fan and not the fan controller. I have the Precision X software and set it to 100% but the fan will not spin even at high temperatures. Does anyone know the fan size? I have seen 65 mm and 80 mm. Would it be better to replace the fan or to get a replacement fan type.cooler?

If anyone has a recommendation for a fan type cooler I'd sure appreciate it.

Thanks, Bob.

Edited by Bob Familton
Correct title spelling

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

On 10/26/2018 at 9:21 AM, Bob Familton said:

I have an EVGA GTX 580 Classified Ultra 3 Gb. card with a single fan. The fan has stopped working. It is free to rotate without power. I have tried getting it to spin with power on with no success. Is there any easy way to determine if it is the fan and not the fan controller. I have the Precision X software and set it to 100% but the fan will not spin even at high temperatures. Does anyone know the fan size? I have seen 65 mm and 80 mm. Would it be better to replace the fan or to get a replacement fan type.cooler?

If anyone has a recommendation for a fan type cooler I'd sure appreciate it.

Thanks, Bob.

I would wager it is likely the fan. That card would have to have a fair number of hours on it now wouldn't it? Anyway, the way you can check if it is the fan itself is to unclip the power lead from the video card mainboard and then connect it directly to a "good" 12 volt power source (there may be a "safe" one on your mainboard somewhere other than the CPU, perhaps temporarily deployed for case fan duties etc).

You may need to remove the existing cooling arrangement to gain access to the fan connectors but as I say, it is a good bet you are going to have to replace the fan anyway.

Given that the OEM cooling solutions on GPUs these days is bespoke and there are not really the drop-in solutions like there are with CPUs, if it were me I'd be heading to a website such as the one below and sourcing a suitable fan only so that you can integrate it into the original OEM heatsink. You will need to remove all the existing thermal interfaces (Goo Gone followed by isopropyl alcohol usually works well) and use new heatsink compound, so make sure you obtain some of that along with the new fan.

https://www.gpufanreplacement.com/collections/nvidia-graphics-card-gpu-fan-replacement

• Upvote 1