Sign in to follow this  
aatd

GPS Bezel -- How to Question?

I’ll start by stating that I am not particularly IT savvy, thus my questions.

I have a couple of questions about the use of GPS bezels such as the one advertised here (as an example):

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Flight-Simulator-Garmin-530-Bezel-with-control-Switch-and-PCB/263824201895?_trkparms=aid%3D444000%26algo%3DSOI.DEFAULT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20170221122447%26meid%3Df2f71a5e4e7b40b9ae8b765ceb99cb01%26pid%3D100752%26rk%3D5%26rkt%3D6%26mehot%3Dpp%26sd%3D263824242396%26itm%3D263824201895&_trksid=p2047675.c100752.m1982

Specifically, I would like to know: 

1.    (Use/performance):  When assembled with the related hardware/software, do these types of units perform as a realistic 530 GPS?  And;

2.    (How to build):  Can someone direct me to a link(s) describing how to build the working GPS using one of these (or similar) bezels?  That is:  what other parts are necessary;  what software;  where to source these; and how to construct and set-up (assume using Prepar3d).

Any help would be appreciated,

Thanks,

Brian

Personally I'd steer clear of this. If the vendor can't be bothered to describe what he's selling, I wouldn't expect too much. From the picture it looks like nothing more than a few push-button switches. Hence you will need at least: (1) a HID controller board, such as the Leo Bodnar BBI-32; (2) an LCD screen, which will need to fit in or under the hole; (3) two dual-concentric rotary encoders for the control knobs; (4) a suitable GPS product, which will depend on which sim you are flying. For P3D, probably the Reality-XP GNS530. I don't know what GPS products there are for X-Plane, but the default GPS is a simplified GNS530, so that is probably usable too.

Then it will be a matter of programming the switches. This may not require any extra software, depending on the GPS product. The RXP GNS520 (v2) can be set to intercept the standard P3D/FSX GPS commands, although you will need to program the switches individually from the P3D controls setup menu. Or you can use FSUIPC (P3D/FSX), with or without LINDA. Or SPAD.neXt (P3D/FSX/X-Plane).

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg
Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro

Thanks Mark,

I appreciate your very detailed and understandable advice.  You make a lot of sense,

Best regards,

Brian