Sign in to follow this  
Guest allcott

Auto install aircraft, to many in the programs list

With so many developers using a auto install program I noticed my start, programs list is getting cluttered with aircraft and consuming a large portion of the list. Any way to remove these without using the uninstall. I perfer to install the aircraft myself the old way. I can invision my programs list becoming a monster of aircraft files. Thanks.

You can just right-click any of the entries in the start menu and choose delete..However, I recommend right-clicking the start button, then choosing "explore". Then create a folder in the start menu called for example "Addon aircraft", close the window and then you can just drag and drop all the addon aircraft entries into that folder, which will now show up in the start menu list.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Guest deKoven

>With so many developers using a auto install program I>noticed my start, programs list is getting cluttered with>aircraft and consuming a large portion of the list. Any way>to remove these without using the uninstall. I perfer to>install the aircraft myself the old way. I can invision my>programs list becoming a monster of aircraft files. Thanks.>You can do a couple things ...First, you can right click on the Start button and then choose Explore. This will open an Explorer window on the Start menu items. Since these are just shortcuts they can be moved around at will. You DO have to remember where you put them, of course. I generally take them all and move them to a Flight Folder (which I created in the same window.) And second, you CAN just delete them from this window. Bear in mind that you may break a link somewhere (say, to an icon which was placed on the Desktop.)I do really wish that those who create Install Programs would take this sort of behavior in account. Every one of them seems to think that HIS proggie is the cat's pajamas and takes precedence over all other "junk" on your system. It's the same thing, really, with the game designers nowdays. Everyone wants to put their files in My Documents, without considering MY wishes at all!(Pet Peeve #23305349247345357034973975340930524 )

I agree. Maybe Microsoft should rename the My Documents folder to "My Junk" in Vista ;)

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Guest allcott

Same for me. I have a single folder in the start menu called simply "Flight Sim". I let all FS packages with autoinstallers install to that folder. Nothing is in the way there, and periodically I can purge the folder if I've removed the aircraft or no longer need the link. They are really only of any use if they link to a manual or configuration utility anyway IMHO. And one other thing - I always dump the uninstaller.exe that inevitably gets left in the FS main folder by autoinstallers as I prefer to remove things manually. That saves a lot of clutter, too. And most of these genius utilities end up with the same name for the uninstaller anyway, so each gets overwritten by the next, anyway!Allcott