Sign in to follow this  
John_Cillis

Question about recording (VHS and DVR)

Hey everyone. I got Phar Lap on VHS recently, and would like to make a copy of it for myself so I can send the original to a friend (I bought it for her but I wanted to have a copy for myself as well). My question is, since my setup isnt easy to get access to, could someone tell me how best to record VHS to VHS? Also, I do have a DVR (Digital Video Recorder) and I'm wondering if it would be possible to record the movie onto my DVR, then record from my DVR onto a blank VHS? Anyways... all I really need to know is how to copy a VHS since it has been a long time and I'd like to know how before I go pulling out my system to get access to the cables in the back. Many thanks in advance!

Making copies of videotapes you don't own the copyright to is just as illegal as making copies of software you don't own the copyright to.Unless you have permission from the creator of that tape you're not allowed to copy it for a friend or anyone.

I think its illegal to copy tapes for sale, not for personal copies. Theres even a article on CNN explaining how to copy VHS to DVD. Thats exactly what I'm trying to do... make a copy for myself and give the original to my friend. I'll ask somewhere else if this is going to turn into another legal argument.

No, what you're planning IS illegal. The PERSONAL copy is a copy for PERSONAL use. As soon as the original is no longer in your posession you loose the right to the copy as well.Your argument is age old and used by pirates many times to justify making "personal backup copies" and then giving those to friends for "safekeeping".

Todd,I'm sorry if you don't like Jeroen's answer, but he is correct--especially in the U.S. where we live. Distribution of a tape to someone who hasn't paid for it denies the author the revenue their copyright entitles them to. The same applies if you were going to photocopy a book that someone would read. Doesn't matter if you are not selling it--what matters is you are denying the owner of the copyright income. Imagine if one person had copied "Harry Potter" and, not selling it, distributed worldwide. The author of that series wouldn't have made the money she was entitled to earn.-John