Sign in to follow this  
Rocky_53

Help Needed For 3x Curved Monitor Setup

I have started to think seriously about building a proper 737 NGX cockpit. This will be a fairly long term project. No, it won't be a full blown, £30,000+ jobbie! I intend to make compromises on many aspects of the build, ie, dummy switches etc and only have things work that are needed in flight. It is likely to be a single format cockpit similar to the JetMax product. I intend to build the mip after Xmas, if funds are available. I am looking at using a five monitor setup, 3 x 1920x1080 for the main scenery display (not VC) and 2 x lower resolution 17" monitors for the PFD, ND and third systems display. My system ( I76700@ 4.4Ghz + GTX1080Ti) currently works extremely well driving a 4K 43" monitor and one other, so I feel this proposed system will be easily workable(?)  I intend to use the NGX 2D MIP panel and drag that into position over the two 17" monitors which will reside side by side. Over the top of these two monitors will be the MIP facia that I intend to model in both MDF and 3D printed detailing.

This is all at a conception stage at the moment, so any input will be very much appreciated. I am looking at running three of the Samsung 32" C32F391FWU Curved  monitors for the main display. Has anyone used three curved monitors in a similar setup before? Can anyone see any issues? Help and any input very much appreciated. Cheers fellas.

Edited by Rockliffe

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

I read a review of your proposed monitors and saw that the pixel density for a 1920x1080 monitor spread across 32” is pretty disappointing.  I haven’t seen it myself to any kind of judge, but you did ask for any comments if we see potential problems.

I realize my setup is not the same as what you’re after, but it shares a few similarities, so my experience may be of some value.  I’m using 5 x 1920x1080, 23.7” monitors for the outside window view and one 19” monitor for  a 2D instrument panel.  The 5 monitors are setup in an arc of just short of 180 degrees and I have a single seat situated in the middle.  I’m using two PCs (i7-4770K and i7-4790K) with GTX-760 GPUs.  I plan to add a third PC (i7-8086K/GTX-1070), relegating the 4770K to ancillary tasks.  Already I get descent frame rates, but they could be better.  So I have to believe your 1080Ti would do the job well.  Feel free to IM me if you think it would be worthwhile.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ncngrr said:

I read a review of your proposed monitors and saw that the pixel density for a 1920x1080 monitor spread across 32” is pretty disappointing.  I haven’t seen it myself to any kind of judge, but you did ask for any comments if we see potential problems.

I realize my setup is not the same as what you’re after, but it shares a few similarities, so my experience may be of some value.  I’m using 5 x 1920x1080, 23.7” monitors for the outside window view and one 19” monitor for  a 2D instrument panel.  The 5 monitors are setup in an arc of just short of 180 degrees and I have a single seat situated in the middle.  I’m using two PCs (i7-4770K and i7-4790K) with GTX-760 GPUs.  I plan to add a third PC (i7-8086K/GTX-1070), relegating the 4770K to ancillary tasks.  Already I get descent frame rates, but they could be better.  So I have to believe your 1080Ti would do the job well.  Feel free to IM me if you think it would be worthwhile.

That's helpful advice, thanks. I have to admit, at the moment, it's the question mark over the pixel density that may well be the sticking point. I have got so used to the excellent resolution of both a 2K and 4K monitor over the past five years. As I say, it's not a 'done deal' yet, as I am looking at different options. Thanks for the input, appreciated.

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

Hi Rockliffe, what you’re envisioning is very close to my setup.

I have a Sismo single-side cockpit (captain and middle) but so far without most of the actual switches because over the years I acquired GoFlight units for the MCP and EFIS, throttle, flaps/gear, plus lots of buttons/toggle modules

I run 3 x 27” monitors for the cockpit outside view, plus 3 more monitors for the 2D in-cockpit screens. I use an old Android tablet for the FMC. 

All of this runs today on one PC, an 8 yr old i7-2600K with two GPUs (not SLI), an Nvidia 960 and a 750Ti.  With all the high complexity add-on airplanes and scenery in 4.3 I have to dial graphics options way down to get good performance.

But I’m upgrading now to an i7-8700k with GTX-1080Ti (plus keeping the 760Ti) and of course P3Dv4.4 so I hope to get much better performance overall.  I’m thinking about possibly increasing monitor size soon or ditching 3 monitors in favor or a large TV. I also may selectively add Sismo devices like the gear lever and flap gauge.  (I actually fly the sim as a 777 or 747 more than a 737, in part because things like the flap positions are displayed on screen).

Anyway because we have similar visions in cockpit design, please feel free to use me as a sounding board any time.

Mike

Edited by frantzy

ugcx_banner.png