Sign in to follow this  
jgoggi

Fuselage shadowed side

Hi, I am trying to tune the appearance of the FSLabs A319 fuselage with PTA 2.63 (P3D v4.4). I don't use dynamic reflections, since my fps reduce considerably.

My problem is that the side of the fuselage that is not exposed to the sun, has a quite dark shadow with jagged edges, that do not blend well with the lighted side (that is instead too bright).

Is there a parameter in PTA that I can change in order to improve the shadow and make it vanish smoothly towards the lighted side? I tried with aircraft lighting - ambient and diffuse, but it did not help.

Thanks. 

Edited by jgoggi

James Goggi

If you untick aircraft lighting and apply the preset, what does it look like? Default lighting should look OK, if a little bland. Maybe also restore your original shaders from actions menu first.

If it looks OK, you can slightly adjust the diffuse and ambient to suit your taste. I am finding v4.4 requires smaller adjustments.

The jagged shadow line is shadow quality, not a PTA thing. Despite using the max slider setting, you may still be disappointed. I increase the shadow map size in the cfg. In the graphics section, try increasing the map to these settings. Check your FPS before and after tweak, to see if you can take the hit. Reduce map size if you need. I think it must be power of 2 though.

With these settings, the in cockpit shadows look good too.

[Graphics]

OPAQUE_SHADOW_TEXTURE_SIZE=4096        
TRANSLUCENT_SHADOW_TEXTURE_SIZE=2048

Thank you very much! I will test your suggestions tonight, looking forward...

James Goggi

Sign in to follow this  

• Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.