Sign in to follow this  
mattrob77

Effect of changing my RAM and hard drive on laptop ?

I was wondering about buying a new laptop, but I found out I can easily change some important component that I bet should help my slow sluggish FSX installation (with a great video on youtube from MSI on how to do it)

I own this:      My laptot ( no SSD, 8GB ram)

So I was thinking about changing for 16GB or even 32GB if possible and installing an SSD as well to install FSX.

If I do so, what kind of improvement will I see ? Only loading speed ? Or graphics as well ? I can't change the graphic card and not sure for the other components.

I'm using ORBX base product like vector or other I can't recall their names, rex 4 Texture direct, FSXWX as weather engine, chaseplane, a big freemesh package, airport sceneries, PMDG 738 every flight. The list to say of I use the computer. 

Then, this website gave me correspondance of the component. Seems ok ?

Thanks guys !

Edited by mattrob77

So I was thinking about changing for 16GB or even 32GB if possible and installing an SSD as well to install FSX.

Load times will help with an SSD, especially the OS booting but that's about it.

Your RAM upgrade is unlikely to make a noticeable difference.

To improve the sim you would need to upgrade the CPU and graphics card. 

Ok so I might just win in loading time for FSX but it won't help the sluggish FSX I have. That's sad.

I guess I won't make any investment then. It would have been around 200€ to install both. Maybe I should lower the graphics a bit more but I'm already so low ^^

Loading time in FSX should theoretically be assisted, but to be honest many say they see little difference.

It wouldn't be a good investment for you I'm afraid. Unfortunately all but the most powerful laptops struggle with the sim. And even awesome laptops can never compete with a full size rig.

4 hours ago, mattrob77 said:

Thanks for saving my money ! 

How much do I own you 😉 ?

5 million quid please. 😃 I want to build a passive house in the countryside. Channel Islands would be nice.

Edited by martin-w