Sign in to follow this  
Guest KrazyIvan

Will A/C lights illuminate buildings, vehicles etc....

Guest Thad

OneTinSoldier,I didn't get the impression tdragger was trying to brush you off as much as he was getting a little frustrated with the comparison to other games. "They can do it right so why can't you or Why are you so late, what

Guest OneTinSoldier

Hi Thad,I understand what you mean about the frustration with negativity. My expression of dissappointment isn't exactly postive, sorry. So, I will say here, that I tried out the demo and I think FSX is very nice and I definitely beleive a good progression for FS, regardless of my dissappointment that the lighting engine wasn't really changed(at least not in regards to the landing lights). In the overall scheme of things in FS it's pretty small item. I certainly haven't lost hope, I just said what I reall felt about this issue/thread is all, and I meant what I said. And again, I think FSX will turn out to be a wonderful evolution of the sim. Nevertheless...Here's to hoping they change the lighting engine for the landing lights in DX10! :-beerchugCheers

Guest SimDog

Maybe more effort should have been spent on lighting than giraffes, dolphins, and birds. Would be interesting to know how many manhours (personhours) were spent on those three, desperately needed items, in FSX?SD

>Maybe more effort should have been spent on lighting than>giraffes, dolphins, and birds. Would be interesting to know>how many manhours (personhours) were spent on those three,>desperately needed items, in FSX?>>SDWait...Instead of figuring that out, I came up with a great idea. Let's constantly antagonize the developers! Then they will surely give us everything we want!

Guest K Frederiksen

Let me add myself to the list of people that think the lights simply is not good enough.I rarely fly at night in fs9 due to the same reason, and when i do, i actually prefere landing with no lights on, because of the very old and ugly look of the landing lights.A better response from tdragger would be appreciated.I very much look forward to buying the sim, and think it's gonna be the biggest step forward in terms of flying feeling ever, but this issue is screaming 'improve me' .

Guest SimDog

NAS,I hope you don't think that was my intention. Just not understanding the rational for adding moving animals and not updating lighting. I asked a similar question yesterday, about light reflections off clouds and the ground, and received zero replies. I guess that means No to my question. Let me ask this question to anyone. If you were part of the FSX team, and aviation was a hobby, aspiring profession, or just an interest, would animating animals been on your list of needed improvments in FSX?As a long time flight simmer, first starting with SubLogic in 1985, MSFS with FS98, FSX is on my 3 October purchase list.SD PS: Purchase FSX through the AVSIM Store.

I'll give you my rational:I have been flying for real for 17 years but really don't fly that much at night-I just like seeing things in the daytime better...and I see a lot of wildlife, birds especially when I fly-almost every flight where I live.So in my experience I have seen more animals in the daytime (it is after all a "living" world we fly in) than used my landing lights at night.That is a rational. I am a long time simmer also since 1981 and simming got me into real flying. I have met the Fs team and they are a bunch of enthusiastic real world flyers too.Perhaps they have the same rational as me?I find flying over a "living" world with birds and cars adds greatly to the sims serious reality-perhaps more than the landing lights in my case. It is amazing how much more real to me the sim seems now with an alive vs. dead past world below.http://mywebpages.comcast.net/geofa/pages/rxp-pilot.jpg

Guest SimDog

Geofa,Good points you make about a living world. Nothing like a near bird strike to teach you to get your eyes out of the cockpit. However, at this point, I don't see myself biting at the bit for FSX so I can see elephants and giraffes in Africa or dolphins in the Caribbean Sea.On a humorous note, I wonder if my FSX box will say "As Live As If Gets"?Regards,SD

Guest KrazyIvan

Allow me to link a couple of past threads:http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=set...page=show_topichttp://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=set...page=show_topicNow that you can see what ACES has told us in the past about the landing lights, it looks to me like either:1) They've tried to update this issue and had problems getting it to work rightor2) They have a surprise in store for us and don't want to ruin it.Take your pick of which choice you like better, but this is an issue that's been beaten to death, run over with a steamroller, and scraped off the road to be beaten some more...which explains why nobody really wants to say anything about it. Add to that the massive pressure that's been building up on the ACES team from the long hours and the heavy doses of criticism that ACES has been getting in the forums, and that'll explain why they've been a bit less patient with some of the questions lately.Honestly guys...telling the developers that they aren't fixing "obvious" issues and demanding answers really isn't productive, is it? Nobody's telling you to wave a flag and toast the development team, but taking them to task on "easy" fixes that aren't really so "easy" is no longer constructive criticism. Patience.

It looks like my post didn't go through earlier, so I'll give it another go:My sarcastic internet humor doesn't seem to "fly" here, so I'll try to lighten it up a bit. I was just messing around with you a bit, SimDog. Personally, I would want the animals and traffic and people and sporting events and naval cargo traffic (unloading at docks, etc) to all be high priorities, and definitely lighting as well. Cake+eating is pretty much my whole perspective. I want it all, but I'll take whatever I can get. If all I have to worry about with FSX is a less than ultra real landing light, I'll be ok with it.

Guest CarlHill

It would seem to me that if it were improved, we would have noticed such in the demo...CH

Guest drdaru1

Zing... (latin for Amen) :(

Guest drdaru1

Or even better, let's just not ask questions period. It works for other things in life. In fact, let's just not worry about it at all, forget about moving forward, scrap fs11, go back to the time before rapid technological advance... etc...

Guest KrazyIvan

>Or even better, let's just not ask questions period. It>works for other things in life. In fact, let's just not worry>about it at all, forget about moving forward, scrap fs11, go>back to the time before rapid technological advance... etc...>>You're hearing what you want to again. You don't like some of the decisions that have been made regarding the areas to be worked on for FSX, and you have been painting anyone who supports the developers into being yes-men.Problem with that is that it's not exactly true. We have no problems discussing the issues and reporting the true situation that FSX is in. With this particular issue, it has been thoroughly discussed...in addition to the two threads I've referenced, there were many more that a search turned up. The landing light issue has been questioned many times, and both Mike and Jason have given their answers to it. The issue has been looked at, and answered. If it's not the answer you wanted, I'm sorry...but not every issue can be addressed completely in every version of FS.My problem is not so much with people asking the questions...that's why we all frequent this forum, right? To get questions answered or make suggestions? My problem is with people who get angry that problem "x" or poor performance "y" hasn't been corrected, and especially with people who call the developers dumb for not doing so. I know it's hard to understand why the issue that has bugged the heck out of you for 3 years is going to continue to bug the heck out of you for another 3 years, but if it hasn't been corrected, there is probably a good reason it hasn't. Being angry about it won't change that reason, and you are taking out your anger on a guy that really doesn't deserve it.Just because ACES hasn't updated the landing lights doesn't mean that Flight Simulator is stuck in the 1990s, and the strong following that Flight Simulator has kept for 25 years sort of points to the fact that the title has updated just as fast as the computer technology has. Your argument that ACES doesn't move forward simply doesn't hold any water based on the evidence to date, and the only way to find out whether your future predictions are accurate will be to look at the sales figures from the title in October. I look forward to getting a firsthand look at just how backward and slow FSX turns out to be...if you are right.-Ivan-Edited because the language filter doesn't like the double hockey sticks word :-P