Sign in to follow this  
hockey_fan

logging of flight data and pilot input

Hello,

Is there add-on software available that will capture flight data and pilot input for post-analysis (similar to a CDR)?  Or might it already be built into P3Dv4?

I once had a flight (big iron) with possible failures simulated, where the autopilot disconnected and I could not control the airplane.  P3Dv4 restarted and all the evidence of the crash was eliminated.  I sure would have liked to know what the actual failure was, and how my inputs either contributed to the problem or that I otherwise did not correct the error in the proper manner.

The other major use of a CDR I can see, would be (for modern airliners) to monitor how well I stayed within the flight envelope.  Some add-ons give grades for flight performance (fspassengerx, fscaptain) and I would like to know, for example, that I ran into the speed or pitch protection for that particular flight.  Knowing that I was relying on the built-in protections from the airplane might also imply that I wasn't making the correct pilot input (and thus maybe my grade should really be lower).

With a simulated CDR, I would be able to analyze both scenarios and potentially improve my flight simulation skills.

Anyway, I have a profound appreciation of this hobby, and if no one has made a CDR yet, I'd love to suggest someone build it.  I would buy this add-on in a heartbeat.  I think it would add immensely to the simulation experience, especially with higher fidelity add-on aircraft.

Apologies for the plug, but simFDR might be close to what you need. It's designed as a Flight Data Recorder and integrates with popular payware aircraft such as most the PMDG line, the TFDi 717, LDS767, QW757 and a few others. It's also got preliminary support for XP11 on Windows. Where's its lacking is the high fidelity at cruise and the ability to log incomplete flights, but the first isn't insurmountable (S3 is cheap) and the second probably wouldn't be a huge lift.

It's going to be a SaaS offering, but the free beta period has been going on for three years now and I'm not going to charge until it's right (and I use it for every single flight I do). I'd be interested in your feedback.

Cheers!

Luke Kolin

I make simFDR, the most advanced flight data recorder for FSX, Prepar3D and X-Plane.

Ouch, I meant FDR and not CDR.....:(  Sorry for the obvious acronym screwup. 

I will definitely take a look at simFDR, it sound very promising to what I am looking for.