Sign in to follow this  
John_Cillis

I've been ignoring P3DV4, time for some screenshots over CA

I love Carenado's Shorts aircraft, I have flown on this aircraft and what I loved the most were the wide windows, letting the light in, when I flew it between OHare and Springfield IL and back way back in 1990.  The Shorts has also seen service in California, out of Santa Rosa's airport.  I decided to fly a nice route, out of South Lake Tahoe to SFO.  Rarely does it happen, I had AI on approach on the runway to my right into SFO, you can see it in one of these screenshots, I love SFO's dual approaches and in real life I often saw aircraft to my right or left coming in on approach to 28L or 28R.  I feel SFO has one of the most breathtaking approaches, since in normal wind conditions one comes in over the bay and touches down on land at the last moment, quite exciting.  The most exciting takeoff for me is still the Santa Ana/John Wayne takeoff to the west, where they cut the throttles at 1000 feet AGL for noise abatement, which creates a feeling of weightlessness that most pilots out of there warn you about.  My daughter learned to love it as we frequently used that airport for trips into Disneyland. 

And they improved Disney access from Santa Ana with HOV lanes that our taxis would use, getting us there in minutes without regard to traffic from Santa Ana.  Now LAX has a similar freeway connection into the Buena Park/Santa Ana area, which was used in the movie Speed before its completion.  I drove it into Compton once to drop a friend off in the 'hood, literally, with my two nephews aboard back in 1990.  I had been working in Bakersfield and she came to visit me and my colleague and asked if I could take her from there to Compton.  I put my foot in my mouth, I said "What is your destination, I hope it is not Compton" to which she smugly replied it was. 

Saw no evidence of crime whatsoever while I was there and got to see the famous Watts towers.  LOL, I was made an honorary gang member in my 50's via a patient I met in the hospital, who was in my ward getting treated for some ailment.  We would go outside on breaks and given my Latin heritage, we just became good friends and he was a gang member thru and thru.  I did not judge him because he did me no harm, and I was sick and needed a friend and so was he.  Enough backstory, I write them in case the pics are boring!

John

wB2kaQ7.jpg
MZw4GAC.jpg
eTyOyDT.jpg
Io5wOyz.jpg
Yg5fxT4.jpg
V7mMiX4.jpg
mqZhC0R.jpg
pXnFZW2.jpg
y7Xsu5u.jpg
ylVAAGn.jpg
EnBeouE.jpg