Sign in to follow this  
red259

Buying a new computer monitor

I currently have a desktop PC windows 10 with a Nvidia GTX970 graphics card. Via my credit card I get a $100 credit from dell. I was thinking about picking up an alienware monitor. The monitor comes with either freesync or for $120 more gsync. My understanding is that the gtx970 wouldn't be able to utlize either of these. I hear talk about 4k monitors and that they are fairly expensive (again I am limited to buying from dell to be able to use my credit and 10% discount). Are 4k monitors the wave of the future? Will their prices drop  down quite a bit in the next year or two? I don't see the point in a high end monitor yet until I have the money to upgrade to a higher end graphics card. What I am really wondering is 1. Should I just get a monitor with freesync at this point and then in a year or two when I upgrade my card buy a new high end monitor or 2. is it worthwhile to to pay the extra $120 for a gsync enabled monitor now in anticipation of a new nvidia graphics card being purchases at sometime in the next year or two? The price difference is basically $380 for a freesync monitor vs $500+tax for a gsync version. 

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!