Sign in to follow this  
sddjd

WQHD+ monitor stutters during panning

Using a 38UC99 (3840 x 1600) with a 1080ti SC2 (11gb) in P3d4.4. I am able to achieve decent/high frame rates with most add-ons (usually in the high 30's), and exterior views such as spot view and locked spot swing around very smoothly using the hat switch.

What I'm seeing is that the monitor stutters slightly when the view is panning in a purely horizontal fashion, in cockpit view for example when taxiing/turning. It's not severe, but noticeable. 

My question is if this might be improved via a display setting, refresh rate, etc, or if it may just be a product of the monitor hardware and the pure width of the resolution being displayed...?

Edited by sddjd

Dan Dominik                                                                           

"I thought you said your dog does not bite....
                                                                That's not my dog."

What CPU do you have?

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

i7 6850k (6 x 3.8/3.6). I've been watching/testing the sim again lately (been away) and have noted that the panning stutters occur even when frame rates are off the charts; for example at certain areas I'll be in the high 70's due to low demand scenery, and will still have the microstutters when taxiing the aircraft through turns. 

I've worked with various refresh rates available on the monitor, 30hz through to 75hz. Contrary to what seems to have worked for many, syncing the monitor to 30hz and setting 30 as a frame-rate limit within p3d results in worse panning behavior than just leaving things at unlimited and 60 or 75hz. 

As your question implies I'm thinking this is either related to processing power or to an inherent limitation in my monitor, though the latter seems less likely due to the smoothness of spot view panning...

Task manager shows the typical core1 being maxed by the rendering process, while other cores are at low utilization during flights or airport navigation even at heavy sceneries. 1080 is rarely much above 60-70%. 

I guess I'm willing to upgrade mobo and cpu, but as always the hesitation is to risk a full rebuild without a tangible improvement. 

Dan Dominik                                                                           

"I thought you said your dog does not bite....
                                                                That's not my dog."

Do you use vsync?

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit