Sign in to follow this  
John_Cillis

Always wanted one of these

A nice rendition of one of the new human flown drones being made lately.  This one is a chore to fly, requires help from Xplane11's autopilot, but once in stable flight it can progress at about 33 knots or so, give or take...  It hovers very well, can even fly backwards...  I found it in Xplane.org's rotorcraft library, it is simply called the Flyer...

John

PZLAW7R.png
EOFG9UT.png
6JhZfd7.png
iG3y1qA.png
PGLMpav.png

• Like 3

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

John: Not sure how you are able to fly this thing...🙂...must be tough, indeed, I guess...

I see that you are able to climb up to 2800' (36 mph). So, it should be good for low/slow VFR as a personal conveyance...assuming one can control it for steady and level flight...Interesting...

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, P_7878 said:

John: Not sure how you are able to fly this thing...🙂...must be tough, indeed, I guess...

I see that you are able to climb up to 2800' (36 mph). So, it should be good for low/slow VFR as a personal conveyance...assuming one can control it for steady and level flight...Interesting...

I have the Xplane11 autopilot commands assigned to certain keystrokes so even aircraft without an autopilot can be flown by it--provided you trim the aircraft first which in the case of this rotocraft and others means getting the collective just right.  You have to attain stable flight before engaging altitude and heading hold in the autopilot.  After that I adjust the heading by using control=H or control=u to adjust the heading one way or another.  Works for most aircraft and rotorcraft but not all.  If it does not work I just hand fly the beasts, lol....

I love this aircraft because it is the first "electric" aircraft I have run across for the sim.  And these are being made in real life by daring experimentalists, although I would not trust flying one because if the computer algorithm is even slightly wrong one can end up landing on one's head which is not a landing one can usually walk away from, the pilot's first prerogative...

• Like 1

Got it...that's nice...So this one has some in-built autopilot functions in the flight model (similar to "autopilot_available=1" in FSX/SE)...so the standard commands work, although no Autopilot control-panel...good to know it does the job here, and yes, if it does not work, just have to hand-fly...

Yes, such Drones make me nervous...Not sure I would accept Pizza delivered by Domino's (reportedly the first company to deliver Pizza by Drone)...what if the order is not right...who do I complain to...🙂...

"Delivery itself seems surprisingly simple, given that it involves a robot flying itself around suburban towns. The customer’s pizzas are placed in a regular pizza box, and then loaded into a sturdier cardboard box that connects to the bottom of the drone. The drone then lifts off and flies to the customer’s house. It hovers above their backyard, and lowers the pizza box down by a tow cable, which detaches. Then it flies back to Domino’s, as the customers enjoy their hopefully still warm, and not smushed, meal."

Hmm...