Sign in to follow this  
Urloony

G1000 Approach Procedures

If this has already been asked and answered please direct me to the proper thread. 

After selecting an approach when I try to go back and delete the destination airport, as I would with a GNS 530, to fly to the first approach waypoint, instead of the airport, the G1000 deletes the airport destination and approach as well.  It seems the only way that I can keep an approach loaded is if I also keep the destination airport.  Am I missing something?

I'm a bit confused by the "...delete the destination airport, as I would with a GNS 530..." part. Is this a flightsim-ism? I don't use the Carenado default G1000 so just curious...  

In the G1000 (and GNS as well as GTN series), I've never had to do this to load an approach and proceed directly to the IAF/FAF/whatever point. I just select FPL, then use the knob to get to the waypoint in question and press direct to (-D->). From there, the approach should auto-sequence once you're past the selected waypoint, assuming it was part of the approach, else, it'll just sequence to the next waypoint and not arm the approach.

Trevor Bair

CMEL+IR | PA32R-301T & C208B
My Real World Travels

I did this very thing tonight. It seems that once approach is "activated" it will move the "direct to" waypoint to the first one in the approach. Just leave it be. Remember it is not a true working G1000, but a simulated program.