Sign in to follow this  
AFS3

FSX - X-Plane 10 and Flight Recording (Movies)

Hello,

I'm combining two questions in one.  I have not yet been able to upgrade to a better performance PC so I'm still dealing with something of a dinosaur, an old AMD A6 quad-core 2.2ghz with integrated HD6530D GPU and 8 gig RAM total. 

Q1:  I have experimented with FRAPS, but it only records what you see when it is recording, and I want to record external shots.  FSRecorder will allow for various views while recording but doesn't record sound. Bandicam records sound, but FSX crashes if i try to use the game mode, but if I use the screen capture mode, I'm only capturing the screen visuals, not the flight data so I can't use it to render clean movies with a decent frame rate. Movies rendered via FSRecorder are very smooth and quite nice, but no sound.  I tried Audacity to record sound but cannot discern how to synchronize Audacity with FSRecorder to get both to start at exactly the same point in time.  I tried my MAGIX movie editing software to slice and dice the video and sound tracks but could not get them synchronized at both the start and end.  I could cut the sound track in to multiple segments and slide them about on 16 separate audio tracks within MAGIX until I get them precision aligned, but that would take more time than I care to invest in something that is meant for personal use.  Most recently I tried Dxtory but like Fraps, that too seems to record only what you see.  While it successfully recorded a test flight in a Baron from Juneau Intl (Orbx Southern Alaska, Orbx Juneau) on a short takeoff and landing, it was entirely from within the cockpit.  My objective is to record a replay of the completed flight, so that I can focus on the views, rather than trying to fly the plane.   Despite little hiccups experienced during flight in FSX, especially just before touchdown, due to graphics settings, FSRecorder rendered moviies still come out very smooth - there's just no sound.  I also have X-Plane 10 on my PC. It runs well enough considering the PC's limitations and has a great flight recorder, but while it can create a playable movie, it does not capture audio.

So, my question then is -- what is out there that will record BOTH audio AND flight data so that, even if the actual flight itself is glitchy due to maximum performance settings, the final rendered video still comes out at a decent frame rate?  Anything out there?

Q2: X-Plane 10.  Shortly after I installed X-Plane 10, which did not come with a pre-installed 737, which I prefer to fly, I downloaded the free 737 from EADT (x737project for X-Plane 10.40+ for more info see https://www.x737.eu/).  Whether I changed a setting or something in the 737 aircraft overrode preferences within X-Plane I do not know, but the aircraft tended to wobble violently -- without wind or weather of any kind -- but if I enabled auto-pilot, it would go rock-steady.  WhenI say wobble, I do not refer to turbulence.  This thing wanted to roll over mid-air.  I realize there is no comparison between FSX and X-Plane.  I bought FSX years ago purely for entertainment value.  I bought X-Plane not to learn what pilots do but to get a simulator that was more visually pleasing than FSX, both in and out of the aircraft.  Aircraft in FSX are always stable in-flight whether on autopilot or manual control.  Also, when landing, soon as I set flaps in X-Plane the aircraft wants to climb up and I have to force the nose down lower than the main gear all the way down, even at low speed.  Then it gets so slow I can't pull up the nose before touchdown, and if I speed up , it wants to climb, not descend.  In FSX, I never once - not ever -- trimmed any aircraft.  Whether by Microsoft's design or some oddity, it was never necessary.  Curiously, thinking I might have had a glitch during the digital download install the first time, I re-downloaded the program and tried a test flight in the pre-installed 747 from KSEA to KPAE.  After takeoff I enabled the autopilot until a few miles out from KPAE and then took it down on manual.  Unlike the previous install, the aircraft did not tumble out of control (but I also hadn't installed any non-Xplane-supplied aircraft); but I still had to force the nose down to descend, even with ridiculously slow.speeds.  I know X-Plane automatically slows down the simulation rate on slower PC's so I am thinking slow CPU and graphics are the cause.

My question here, then, is -- must I trim any aircraft in X-Plane or might the PC's antiquated capabilities be too primitive for the requirements of X-Plane, even though it loads and does play, albeit somewhat crudely -- except when on Autopilot.

Thanks for any feedback.