Sign in to follow this  
scianoir

Propliner fans might be interested in this

Those of you who, like me, have an interest in classic propliners might like to know that the fourth edition of the Propliner Annual will go on sale on April 15th. This annual is basically a reincarnation of the wonderful Propliner magazine founded by the late Stephen Piercey in 1979 and full of interesting articles and great photos of classic piston and turboprop airliners. Sadly publication of this quarterly ceased a few years ago but interest amongst the Propliner enthusiast community lead to it living on in the form of an excellent annual publication which I am pleased to see has grown again in size this year. Further details for anyone interested and a link to their online store can be found on the Propliner website   http://propliner.co.uk/

Bill

• Like 1

My first flight was on an Electra and second a 727, both on short flights between the Bay Area and LA Basin in '66 and '67.  My first jet flight was on a 727.  All were on the same airline, PSA.... Later absorbed by USAirways, which absorbed America West and which absorbed American who I finally worked under contract for several months in 2014 helping build the merge of two crew scheduling systems into one.

My last flight until I flew a United DC10 home from ORD to SFO in '75 was the night of my kindergarten graduation in Burbank, in '67, on PSA to Oakland for our move to Napa California, where I lived with two exceptions until 1995, moving then to Phoenix with my new bride after buying my first home as her wedding and post honeymoon present.   Simple home, smaller than our last home together and except for the crime and gunfights near our home, my fav home.  I am not scared of crime because I do not get in the face of those who commit it, I just leave them be and only report it if they are a threat to themselves. 

I broke up a gang fight in Surprise Arizona, I was not afraid, I knew they were all buddies just in an argument and not bothering me, so I just whispered out of my car window that I overheard the store clerk call the police.  They shook hands, nodded to me in respect, and I know no crime happened between them or maybe I broke up a possible robbery--I searched the news that night and there were no fatalities anywhere in Phoenix or the metro area, except for medical ones of course. 

The way I feel is we all take bullets some time not out of heroism, but to prevent the heroes from falling.  That is how I still view flight crews, I have been in three near fatal airline accidents, all not the cause of the calm flight crews that saved not my life, but OUR lives and that is why I love them so and remembrances like this post.

John