Sign in to follow this  
Garry Scanlan

BACKING UP P3D v4.4 & Registry

Garry,

The program is not a joke. If I need to retrieve single or multiple files I use Utilities - Explore Image.

The whole mirror image can be temporarily mounted as a drive letter allowing you to recover as many files as you require.

When finished just return to Explore and unmount the image.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Hi Ray

Of course not. Heat of the moment.

I have just done exactly what you suggested in respect of my P3D installation.

What 'memory' is the program referring to?

Garry, I’ve never seen the memory message you refer to. Did mounting the image resolve your problem?

Restoring the whole P3D folder just to resolve ‘floating trees’ is a little extreme. There must be a simpler solution.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Yep. it sure did. Thanks.

Re the trees - of course there is but I thought I'd restore a 'perfect' working p3d just to check things were ok. This was my first 'restore' attempt using this software.

The explore image option is one I have used a few times to recover individual files. Not had a P3D disaster yet fortunately.

Bear in mind there are cfg files spread around the system such as in Program Data and %APPDATA% so make sure you backup the C drive too.

Edited by Ray Proudfoot

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

8 hours ago, Garry Scanlan said:

Hi Ray

The problem was the AMD Adrenalin drivers. I'm running windows default now.

Consider Nvidia when you next change your graphics card.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Ray, Over the past 25 years odd or so I've only bought AMD based systems  [initially on the advice of software engineer pal] and generally been happy, plus keeping competition alive..but when you can't use all the features of a product because of the maker you have to seriously reconsider the wisdom of your choice -  and I now understand from reading some posts it seems this issue has been around since 2017(!).

Garry, if you follow discussion on these pages you’ll find the vast majority use Intel / Nvidia as they gives the best performance for P3D and FSX before it.

It’s entirely your choice of course. Other ‘games’ may well perform better on AMD hardware. It’s entirely up to the user.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather