24CarotMagic

What folders to back up, and add-on licenses

Hi,

So as my SSD is arriving, I am moving my P3D directory onto said SSD meaning I'll be uninstalling and reinstalling it on the new drive. The reason is to start fresh and have a new slate of P3D to tweak and configure. But before I do, what folders should I absolutely back up before tweaking to save me the hassle of reinstalling the client/content/scenery when something goes wrong?

Also since I'll be reinstalling P3D as a whole, what Add-ons are okay with uninstalling and reinstalling without messing up the licenses? The reason of reinstalling the add-ons is to reorganize using the XML method.

My Add-Ons:

• PMDG Aircrafts 737/747/777
  • Chaseplane
  • Active Sky/Cloud Art
  • ORBX Global
  • FSDreamteam GSX/KLAX/CYVR
  • Flightbeam KSFOHD

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Posted (edited)
47 minutes ago, 24CarotMagic said:

FSDreamteam GSX/KLAX/CYVR

FSDT licenses are stored in several .REG files, one for each product, under your Home folder ( the folder with your name, under C:\Users\YOURNAME ). Just be sure you backup these, and you'll be able to reactivate after reformatting, by double-clicking on those files before starting the sim.

If your old system is still running now, if you use the Deactivate feature from the Addon Manager menu just before reformatting, your existing activations will also be reclaimed, so you won't even consume a new one when reactivating after a reformat.

If you don't do this, it's not really a problem, because you have 6 activations, to cover for unexpected hardware failures and the "I forgot to Deactivate first" cases.

Note that, all of this concerns ONLY when you reinstall Windows from scratch, on a new drive.

Reinstalling/Uninstalling under the same Windows installation and the same hardware can be made an unlimited number of times, with no concerns about the activation.

Edited by virtuali

9 hours ago, virtuali said:

FSDT licenses are stored in several .REG files, one for each product, under your Home folder ( the folder with your name, under C:\Users\YOURNAME ). Just be sure you backup these, and you'll be able to reactivate after reformatting, by double-clicking on those files before starting the sim.

If your old system is still running now, if you use the Deactivate feature from the Addon Manager menu just before reformatting, your existing activations will also be reclaimed, so you won't even consume a new one when reactivating after a reformat.

If you don't do this, it's not really a problem, because you have 6 activations, to cover for unexpected hardware failures and the "I forgot to Deactivate first" cases.

Note that, all of this concerns ONLY when you reinstall Windows from scratch, on a new drive.

Reinstalling/Uninstalling under the same Windows installation and the same hardware can be made an unlimited number of times, with no concerns about the activation.

Thanks, I found it! I'll do the deactive form addon manager thingy. That was very convenient.