bean_sprout

Upgrade Psychology

Posted (edited)

My speculation on upgrading is and was upgrade often and frequently.  What I had to learn is that there are limitations that will SNAFU updating.  Finance is usually the biggee especially with hardware.   What about getting ramped up to do a software upgrade?  Usually you can't do one of those from a dead stop.  This is where I found I need to get 'psyched' for any upgrade and that happens after all the limitations (blocks) are lifted.  Finally there needs to be a motivation like 'I don't want to be left behind' or promises of better performance or your existing system is junk.  

So for me going to P3D 4.5 is not a biggy.  Besides I may be losing my uber kewl gaming machine due to life changes so there is no motivation.  But P3D4.4 is running perfectly!

Regards
bs

Edited by bean_sprout

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

36 minutes ago, bean_sprout said:

My speculation on upgrading is and was upgrade often and frequently.  What I had to learn is that there are limitations that will SNAFU updating.  Finance is usually the biggee especially with hardware.   What about getting ramped up to do a software upgrade?  Usually you can't do one of those from a dead stop.  This is where I found I need to get 'psyched' for any upgrade and that happens after all the limitations (blocks) are lifted.  Finally there needs to be a motivation like 'I don't want to be left behind' or promises of better performance or your existing system is junk.  

So for me going to P3D 4.5 is not a biggy.  Besides I may be losing my uber kewl gaming machine due to life changes so there is no motivation.  But P3D4.4 is running perfectly!

Regards
bs

I usually wait for the snow to settle, then upgrade, old habit I have from being a former WAN manager supporting a WAN in three states--I did not want to book travel in those days (we had to use CD's to upgrade our servers back then) until the uninvited "theta" testers--John Q. Public, shared their opinions with us--we called it "Best Practices".  But with Lockheed Martin and Xplane11 I upgrade immediately and confidently, I feel they have not blown any of their releases in their current product cycle and if a few glitches show up they are on it, and have them fixed, immediately. 

I also feel that way about a select group of aircraft add-on vendors I deal with now, I have built up a trust for Aerobask and VSkylabs (Xplane11) and Carenado and other vendors (Xplane11 and P3D4.x).  So I am usually the first to get their products putting the pedal to the metal, so to speak, when they are released.  I have never been burned by these vendors, which is why their customers have them in business. 

Not to mention vendors I have not tried yet, but who have a strong following too, only because they specialize in heavy iron.  I forgot to mention Justflight, a great vendor.  Since I am on disability, first with migraine headaches, then with getting run over by a car, although I can still out sprint most humans, it's just painful, I sit and sim all day long, or create instrumental synth music, my other passion, I have a handful of synth modules from ARP, to Roland, to Yamaha, and Juno, etc, which I've tickled with since the mid 80's.

And later this year, because of the accident I was in, I hope to use my settlement to finish my light sport license.

John

• Like 1