jtwhite

Air Manager has me thinking ...

I gave the Air Manager demo a try. Its running on my laptop attached to a small monitor I have set up over my yoke. The instruments are really beautiful and fluid. But it had me thinking, and a bit disoriented. It seems that the more instrumentation I take out of the cockpit and make stationary on my desktop, the more moving around inside the 3D cockpit via TrackIR becomes, well, weird. Know what I mean? It's as if I've hit the flightsim "singularity" where I either have to put the instruments "back" in the 3d cockpit or consider adding more computers, side views, more copies of XP and make it so everything stays nailed down and only my head moves. Does that make any sense, and does anyone have any thoughts on this phenomena? I've thought about VR, but I kinda like my "3D world" as it is, even if there are curtains on the window and a cat asleep on the floor. I even thought of running just scenery on the main monitor, but I don't like giving up the window and door framing that to me make me feel as if I'm in a cockpit.

Hope this makes sense. If not, let me know and Ill try to clarify.

Thanks in advance.

John in Indiana

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Makes perfect sense. Feel the same way. I have a small, makeshift desk cockpit and often wondered about making it more complete. But then I feel like I would be flying my desk instead of flying all the great planes I can fly in Xplane.