Sign in to follow this  
Rasta_Dude

Nav-data update without 'Navigraph'

Hello everybody,

I'm new to Prepar3D (v4.5) and the PMDG 747 QOTSII. A few days ago I decided to get Prepar3D and all the "must have" addons, because I want to start with learning & playing it. I like the 747 really much and for my first flight I choose a route from Frankfurt/Main (EDDF) to Dubai (OMDB) with a B747-400(ER)F from Emirates (Livery: https://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID=fsxacrp&DLID=198432 ) and created my flight plan with simBrief. I watch a lot of tutorials and PMDG manuals to learn the meanings of all these technical switches and the FMC. Now when I wanna type in the route in the FMC unter the RTE1-page some waypoints are missing, like UL124 or L319. After research I find out that there is the possibility to keep my Navdata updated with things like Navigraph. But is there a way to keep it on a more updated state than I have now on my 747 (IDENT-page on my FMC says: "NAV-DATA: AIRAC-1702 FEB02MAR01/17") without paying money? It doesn't even has to be the newest state for me, but maybe one where I can use planners like simBrief. I paid a lot of money the last days for addons and stuff and it was definitely worth it, but I'm not a friend of monthly/yearly subscriptions.

I'm such a big newbie in this world but maybe you have some helpful answers for me 🙂

Sorry for my english, I'm not a native speaker.

Thanks!

Adrian

Asus ROG Strix X470-F Gaming Mainboard
AMD Ryzen 7 2700X (no OC)
Zotac Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 AMP! Edition (8 GB VRAM)
Kingston SK Hynix 64 GB DDR4 RAM (4 x 16 GB)
Samsung 970 EVO 2 TB NVMe SSD

You can buy a monthly subscription to Navigraph, download the latest navdata updates, and then cancel the recurring monthly subscription.  You won't have access to their charts after the subscription expires, but the navdata set you downloaded will remain usable.  Over time, though, you'll start seeing problems again, as Simbrief uses current nav data.  You could buy a good standalone flight planner that uses the same navigraph data (like PFPX), update both your aircraft and PFPX databases, and then use that data in both your flight planner and acft for as long as you like, and they'll always match.

But no, there are no free updates to the latest data...it takes a lot of work to keep a worldwide database up to date.

Regards

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

2 minutes ago, w6kd said:

Over time, though, you'll start seeing problems again, as Simbrief uses current nav data. 

That's not the case - Simbrief provides AIRAC 1803 (I think) free to all users.

Other cycles have to be unlocked through a Navigraph subscription. If you purchase the current cycle from Navigraph, in addition to updating your addons you can unlock it in Simbrief and it will continue using that until such time as you tell it to use a different cycle.

16 minutes ago, skelsey said:

That's not the case - Simbrief provides AIRAC 1803 (I think) free to all users.

Other cycles have to be unlocked through a Navigraph subscription. If you purchase the current cycle from Navigraph, in addition to updating your addons you can unlock it in Simbrief and it will continue using that until such time as you tell it to use a different cycle.

OK, thanks for the correction. 

So you can purchase a monthly Navigraph subscription, update your acft databases, unlock that AIRAC cycle on Simbrief while the subscription is active, and then cancel the subscription but continue to use that AIRAC cycle in both your acft and Simbrief after the subscription has expired.  Is that correct?

Regards

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Thanks a lot! I didn't thought about this, but the idea sounds great. I did a bit more research about Navigraph and I think I'll give it a try.

Greetings

Asus ROG Strix X470-F Gaming Mainboard
AMD Ryzen 7 2700X (no OC)
Zotac Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 AMP! Edition (8 GB VRAM)
Kingston SK Hynix 64 GB DDR4 RAM (4 x 16 GB)
Samsung 970 EVO 2 TB NVMe SSD