Sign in to follow this  
John_Cillis

Soon will run P3D4.5

I have heard the update mentioned but you know me, I do not pay attention to all threads, so I did not realize 4.5 has been in release almost a month.  I am copying from the zip now, and bless Lockheed Martin for not charging for the upgrade.  I am looking forward most to the new city night lighting, as I would usually run Xplane11 for night flights.  Whatever other surprises there are I am sure I will be happy with, P3D has never been a disappointment to fly, this morning on my final run of 4.4 I had a wonderful ultralight flight from Angwin in the Napa Valley down to Napa airport in my Columban Cri Cri, an ultralight I heartily recommend, since such slow movers are rare in our hobby, more of which can be found for Xplane11 for some reason. 

I had to remove some software to make room for the new upgrade, but not much, just Sagemath which I write prime number generators with, since it has nearly unlimited precision, though a text base program language for those with a heavy math background like I have.  I also transferred my dropbox pics to my second partition.  I have cleared a lot of disk space which I will use for FSEarthtiles, so I can map New Mexico and parts of West Texas, and the southern tip of Oregon.

I also had to remind myself that the first step to make room for the upgrade is to uninstall client, content and scenery.  Always the best method for getting the upgrade installed.

I will post about my results in the latest update for those like me who did not know it was out yet.

John

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Well, in addition to missing the fact that it's out, you might have missed out on the copious chatter about problems with 4.5...problems severe enough that LM has promised a hotfix to deal with them.

I'd suggest you wait until the hotfix is released, hopefully within a week or so.

• Upvote 2

59 minutes ago, w6kd said:

Well, in addition to missing the fact that it's out, you might have missed out on the copious chatter about problems with 4.5...problems severe enough that LM has promised a hotfix to deal with them.

I'd suggest you wait until the hotfix is released, hopefully within a week or so.

I downloaded it and I applied a fix suggested in the P3D forums, it is running well for me, but I will keep an eye out for the hotfix.  I love the brighter nighttime scenery, looks much more real, right now I am flying from Dulles to JFK in the Carenado Shorts 360.  I do not have many other add-ons that might cause problems, I also notice a boost in performance, not big but noticeable.  The sucker took long enough to download though, a big download as usual.  I had my license info ready in case I was asked for it on program startup, but I was not asked. 

If I run into an issue I will post about it so current users can avoid it, but right now I am a happy camper that the upgrade process I learned about long ago in these forums went well and my add-ons did not break in the process, and all my settings were preserved.

Upgrading P3D is one of the easiest chores, albeit it requires patience due to the size of the upgrade.

Xplane11 upgrades, Steam upgrades, are also painless, wish I could say that about all upgrades, Win 10 is the hardest especially if one does not have a battery backup.  I still wish I could perm turn those upgrades off, since I have nothing to complain about with Win 10 and I have good malware and virus defenses in place, plus a solid firewall.

John