Sign in to follow this  
shally17

Same question asked a different way.

Hello All,

I have been telling myself for some time now that I should be satisfied with my FSX setup and the thousands of dollars worth of add-ons that have given me so much enjoyment over so many years. The problem is that the best new releases are now snubbing FSX for the obvious reasons and finally I am feeling like I am missing out. So it is time to bite the bullet and build a new rig for Prepar3D. I am prepared to spend the money to somewhat future-proof the rig without going stupid about it but I want to get the best out of this new flightsim. Can somebody out there please suggest some specs in terms of M/board, CPU (overclocked) and RAM. I have an ASUS GTX 1070 - is this enough? Windows 7 or 10?

Regards,

Steve.

Hello Steve,

I've recently did an upgrade, so here is what I did:

• i7-9700k@5GHz
  • ASUS Rog Strix Z390-E (for the built in WiFi, you could save some bucks with the F, which is nearly the same board without WiFi)
  • 16 GB of 3200 MHz DDR4-RAM from Corsair
  • EK Waterblocks custom Loop with a 360 Rad

Kept my GTX 1080 and my Fractal Define R5

What can I say: I would do it again anytime! With the Hotfix (I was suffering very poor Performance in v4.5) I did a testflight yesterday with the QW787, over EDDM (very dense autogen) with all of ORBX (Base, Vector and Germany South) with REX SF and EF in AS generated bad weather (Low vis, rain, thunderstorms) @3000ft and 180kts and I never saw less then 35 FPS and a buttery smooth sim. That's with quite high graphics Settings.

Only thing I Encounter some FPS loss is at night with DL on ... but there my 1080 is choking. So the choice is up to you. Probably the 1070 will do, but don't expect any miracles from it. But you can upgrade that along the way.

Cheers,

Peter

Edited by PapaCharlieKilo