Sign in to follow this  
tgibson

Effects - Shadows

Guest A32X

Hi,Will aircraft/buildings etc cast shadows in FSX when the sky is overcast? Also, does anyone know the difference between the Global Aircraft Qualitity settings of High and Ultra High? Thanks

Guest kurtj

>Hi,>>Will aircraft/buildings etc cast shadows in FSX when the sky>is overcast? Also, does anyone know the difference between the>Global Aircraft Qualitity settings of High and Ultra High? >>ThanksI hope not. When it is overcast in fs98 there wasn't any shadows. This also happened when it wasn't overcast and mostly cloudy so I hope in fsx if it is mostly cloudy but some sun can come through it will. If it is completely overcast I hope there are no building shadows. As for the aircraft qualility settings I think the difference would mean more detail on the aircraft as far as textures go.

"difference between the Global Aircraft Qualitity settings of High and Ultra High? "I've always been a bit baffled by this, Everytime I set to Ultra it always reverts back to High. I have everything ticked in the boxes below as well.

Guest tdragger

That's because there aren't enough different values to map to 7 different settings. (High and Ultra High are indentical.)

Guest Bell206freak

While we're talking about shadows in relation to aircraft, is there the chance that we might be able to see our own aircraft's shadow, as well as that of an AI aircraft, while in the virtual cockpit perspective? This wasn't possible in Flight Simulator 2004 and I would like to see it implemented in Flight Simulator X or the next release. I was kinda dissapointed because that feature wasn't there in FS2004, because not only did it detract from the realism slightly, but your own shadow kinda gives you a sense of just how high you are above the terrain (provided you're low enough to see the shadow).-Steve

Guest JSPuonti

Seconded - this is a very good point! Seeing your plane's shadow from the VC would be a great feature, especially for GA aircraft.I think the reason why it's not in FS2004 is that the VC model usually doesn't include the whole airplane - if you move the eyepoint "outside" of the VC you'll often see only a partial plane. Using this model for projecting the shadow would produce some pretty weird results :) I'm sure the devs could work around it though, by somehow using the external model even if it's not visible in VC view.

Hopefully in FSX there will be just 1 model that includes exterior and interior VC, and 1 view whether it be inside or outside. Whats stopping this?