Sign in to follow this  
Guest tdragger

Special care for new features?

Hello, if this topic has already been talked about, please direct me to the previous post, but here's my question.Because of the abundance of payware addons for FS, has the MSFT Flight Simulator Team had to take extra care of what to include in new versions of FS so that companies that sell payware can continue to sell their products? I'm just curious of this, as some companies sell addons for FS, that, for instance, have a much better camera system than the default FS camera. Is there going to be a new-and-improved camera system, or will it remain just as it was in FS9?

In all fairness, it's not up to MS to make sure the payware companies can "continue to sell their products". MS has the SDKs which state what is needed to ensure compatability, so if the payware companies followed this, they should have no problems.If there is a change in the FSX formats, they will have the needed info on making an addon work, it's up to the company as to whether they can and want to get the addon up to speed and to charge for their efforts to get it there.Regards, MichaelKDFWhttp://www.calvirair.com/mcpics/mcdcvabanner.jpgCalVirAir International

Best, Michael

KDFW

Guest tdragger

The camera system was completely scrapped and re-written after FS2004 shipped.

Guest sclincoln

I think the original post meant, "Would MS not add a feature to FS that there is already payware for so as not to step on the 3rd party developers toes and dry up their market?"IMHO, I don't think that happens too much. Many of the current features in FS9, were previously available as payware addons (ie. GPS, ATC) Adding things as default features just makes the 3rd party developers work a little harder to top them (think Radar Contact, VOXATC, etc.)