Sign in to follow this  
Jojolo0423

First PC Build + Haven't simmed in 12 years

Hey guys I haven’t flown a flight simulator since FS9. I’ve recently saved enough money and am looking into buying a new pc to get back into it. The pc would mainly be used for prepar3d, some gaming, and some light video editing. 

The PC I would build consists of the following:

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/zWzZhy

CPU: Intel - Core i9-9900K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($489.99 @ B&H) 
CPU Cooler: NZXT - Kraken X62 Rev 2 98.17 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($139.89 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: Asus - ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($225.99 @ Amazon) 
Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($116.48 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Samsung - 860 Evo 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($147.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: Asus - GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB ROG Strix Gaming OC Video Card ($1279.99 @ Amazon) 
Case: NZXT - H700i ATX Mid Tower Case ($179.99 @ NZXT) 
Power Supply: Corsair - RMx (2018) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($109.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $2690.31
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-06-02 10:02 EDT-0400

I have two questions:

1. Are there any compatibility issues here, or any tweaks you would make to improve the build for p3d?
  2. Also, I’ve seen the news come out last week with AMD’s new Ryzen 3000 models. I understand that they’re supposed to be better (faster) on paper. But would it really improve performance that much for p3d? Do the extra 4 cores on the 3900x make a difference? Should I wait or go ahead and build this pc? 

Any help would be incredibly helpful. Thanks!
  • Like 1

Welcome to the forums!  The system you propose looks good... I would indeed tweak some things.

The 9900K is a beast!  For overclocking (you'll want to hit 5.0+GHz) top notch cooling is imperative.  The H700i you spec'd is a nice case that will easily hold 360mm rads.  You really should take advantage of that capability.

The memory is fine, though a bit slow... for a few more $ you could get this: https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-16gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820232485

If you do choose this excellent memory do yourself a favor and read this recent thread: 

Also, if there's any chance at all that you could be interested in X-Plane buy 32GB of memory (in 2 sticks) for your new build.

For storage you might consider an NVMe drive... your motherboard will handle those drives quite well.  They will be 5-6 times faster than a standard SSD... which means things will load faster on your computer.  Won't necessarily enhance your simming experience (beyond faster flight scenario loading) but everything you do on the system will happen quicker and they are the (near future).  A Samsung EVO NVMe will work just fine!

Regarding waiting for new Ryzens... I'm a big AMD fan from the mid 90's, and I've been waiting for them to come up with something to answer Intel's overclocking capability for many years.  I gave up waiting.  If you're ready to build now then I would certainly recommend doing so.  Even if you decide to wait to see what AMD has to offer, wait till the independent reviews come in.  What we saw from everybody at Computex last week was more about marketing than technology. :biggrin:

HTH and good luck!

Greg