Sign in to follow this  
Guest grapesh

Already disappointed

Regardless, Hey I still use two spyware programs..and they each catch spyware that other doesn't catch! What does that tell ya? Besides, you don't see any spyware advertisment in most pc magazines!

> I wasn't at the Denver conference, but I do have some>time in level-D simulators (737-700, 767-300, 747-400, and>Lear 45) and I have to say that there is no "feel" in MSFS.>None, nada, zippo. I've also done some jumpseat time in the>737-500 and can honestly say that nothing I've ever>experienced with the PDMG 737 even remotely resembles the>experience of being in a real cockpit - even with no stick>time. But, all mileage is variable...>As I've often mentioned; the mind can create "feel" even when it doesn't exist. The automobile pulling slightly ahead at a stop light, while you slam on your brakes, thinking you're rolling backwards is a good example. You didn't actually move, but sure seemed to have felt it!And it's the same with a motionless desktop sim, to a degree. I'm seeing motion on a screen combined with a bit of resistance from my joystick's spring. Yet I "feel" sensations such as yaw, ballooning with flaps, light turbulence, a slight bit of motion sickness with some aerobatics, power to weight, and a few more.I certainly don't feel heavy turbulence, or effect of G-forces with sudden manuvering. I'm also aware that it's my "pilot" brain filling in many of the missing gaps, as has also been mentioned by others. When a simulated airplane designer has done a good job of programming, then the feel pays off quite well. There is no doubt, that "feel" varies immensly with different models. But on the otherhand, I suppose the sim pilot has to have done a few of these flight phases in real life, for the brain to know what the sensation is like in the first place.L.Adamson

Guest grapesh

I'd like to make a point that at the very moment you start thinking about a moving platform and wrap-around screen for flying in FS, you should probably consider something else. Instead of buying a $3000+ hardware for your garage or living room, you'd probably be better off heading to your local airport and finding a person who's willing to teach you how to fly a real thing. I'm not talking about dedicated home cockpit builders. But if you want realism in your flying, you can get it out there: gliding is quite cheap, ultralights and sport-pilot aircraft are a LOT of fun, and all your hours count towards private pilot if you decide to go with that later. As for PC-based flightsim realism, I have a good comparison for you. If you ever had a chance to see an IMAX movie on spherical, not flat screen (I know there is one in Paris and one in Boston), than you realize how your peripheral vision is important. I got dizzy by watching CG rollercoasters movie, and I had to close my eyes sometimes. And this is not 3d glasses, or moving chairs, it's just extra-wide-screen graphics! My point is, full-motion sim versus MSFS versus real flying is like IMAX theater versus your wide-screen TV versus a ticket to Disneyland.I will be glad if ACES will offer us a smoother graphics and better dynamics, but I know how hard it is to recreate "a real cockpit feel" on a 19' LCD, without having additional $1000+ rig. It's like gettting an IMAX feeling out of flat screen. But, again, there are ways like dynamic viewpoint, that is computing a movement of pilot's head due to G-force, that can help simulate the real feel without need in moving platforms. That would be great to have, I guess.Cheers,=S.V.=