Sign in to follow this  
tgibson

Will the 'Props' taxi better in FSX

Guest Badger

One of the things that I REALLY can't get on with in ACOF is the horrible way that the Cessna Caravan, Beechcraft and King Air taxi.Its the way they do nothing and then leap off the blocks and get faster and faster. They just won't hold a steady taxi speed.I know there is probably a technical reason why the models behave like they do and I've spent a lot of time trying to get on with it.BUT its really annoying....I just hope its been looked at :)RegardsMark

Guest tdragger

Unfortunately you've fallen victim to "as real as it gets". The trick with turboprops is to set the condition lever to "low idle" when taxiing. This will make the throttle more responsive and give you better speed control.Admittedly this is non-intuative and difficult for anyone who doesn't have a thottle quadrant on their joystick/yoke. The levers only appear on a pop-up panel (Shift+4) and the virtual cockpit and you need to manipulate them with the keyboard or mouse. Real aircraft also have detents that give you a tactile to find the right position. With FS you need to do it visually:http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/144068.jpgWe might look at trying to detect when you are taxiing versus taking off/landing and displaying a Flying Tip to help you find the levers. Thanks for the feedback.

Guest Badger

Hello,Thanks for the reply.I do set the condition levers to low idle before I move off and as you say, things are more responsive.My problem seems to be that there is either 'more than enough' power to keep me taxing along faster and faster or just not enough and I will stop.No matter what joystick throttle combination I've tried (MS Force Feedback II) or my current Saitek X52 there just doesn't seem to be that happy medium position.I don't have the same problem in FS2002 with the King Air for example and that's on the same PC with the same joysticks.RegardsMark

That's where FS2004 is more realistic than was FS2002. In that one the turboprops were too hard to get to move ;)

Guest Badger

OK Guys....thanks for your input.I guess I was starting off with the wrong idea.I was assuming in the real world you could set a power level and get a nice steady taxi speed, assuming calm conditions.From what you are saying, it doesn't work like that and you have to constantly fiddle...RegardsMark

you can get a stable speed I think, but you need to know well what to set everything at.The (relatively) poor ground friction simulation in FS (it's generally recognised to be too little) makes that a bit harder, but that's all.

Hi,There are many aircraft that will accelerate while taxiing even at idle throttle. And there are many that you have to goose the throttle to get moving - think soft tires.Hope this helps,--Tom GibsonCal Classic Propliner Page: http://www.calclassic.comFreeflight Design Shop: http://www.freeflightdesign.comDrop by! ___x_x_(")_x_x___