Sign in to follow this  
John_Cillis

I will not get "computer dementia" now

The Samsung 2TB T5 I ordered just a few days ago was on my doorstep this morning, it is installed and receiving files from my sims and other multi media locations, it is very fast.  Now my computer will not run out of drive space, and I can get DCS world finally.  It is wonderful technology, these solid state drives, when I look at something that fits in the palm of my hand that would have filled a server room with rack mounted servers twenty years ago, when I was a WAN admin.

I bought the drive, after a year of waiting for prices to come down, direct from Samsung and with the firm intent of adding to my photo scenery with Ortho4XP for Xplane11, and MSE for P3DV4.  These little USB wonders have made obsolescence of our computers almost moot, unless the new MSFS in 2020 requires Cray like hardware to run, which they promise it won't.

This is my first major hardware purchase since I bought my MSI Vortex right after I returned from my month in Europe, in 2017.  I do not regret it given the short hour I have spent watching it silently churn thru my static data.

I have been owning Samsung products for years.  My Samsung Monitor has governed over three different systems since I bought it more than a decade ago.  Their products take a licking, and keep on ticking.

John

22 hours ago, John_Cillis said:

My Samsung Monitor has governed over three different systems since I bought it more than a decade ago.  Their products take a licking, and keep on ticking.

John

My 2007-08 era Samsung monitor lasted about 2 years.  😃

Rhett

i7-8700k @ 5.0 ghz, 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ, 1080Ti, 32" BenQ, 4K res

12 hours ago, Mace said:

My 2007-08 era Samsung monitor lasted about 2 years.  😃

Wow, that is surprising, I guess it can be hit and miss sometimes.  I do not miss the old crt monitors we had before LED monitors, those put out so much heat!

10 hours ago, John_Cillis said:

Wow, that is surprising, I guess it can be hit and miss sometimes.  I do not miss the old crt monitors we had before LED monitors, those put out so much heat!

Actually this was a flat screen monitor, I guess one of the early flat screens.  They didn't quite have the tech nailed down at that time I guess.

I've had great success with their storage though.

Rhett

i7-8700k @ 5.0 ghz, 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ, 1080Ti, 32" BenQ, 4K res

2 hours ago, Mace said:

I've had great success with their storage though.

My very first Samsung flat screen, which I gave to my ex wife along with my laptop since she was so kind to let me stay with her for almost two years after our divorce, had a stuck pixel, just one but annoying, from the day I bought it.  When my Mom passed on I took her E-machines computer and monitor she bought to replace that flat screen.  As you said though, they improved their technology immensely.  Computer tech in general has improved so much, each successive computer I have purchased has lasted longer and longer.  But the computer I built more than 20 years ago, with an Iwill motherboard, still works today although it could use a new power supply since the old one has a short in it, I had to jiggle the wires to keep the short from turning off the system.  I still need that system, it has the source to several programs I have written, and I will get it from my ex's home some day.

John