Sign in to follow this  
Guest pixelpoke_from_MSFT

Over all lighting

One thing that I always wondered was if you could have a "warm" yellowish lighting in FS instead of white florecent illumination of landscape!. (When sunny ofcoarse). It seems like this is done so in some of the pics, but not others.

Guest Robin.B

You can -Set your time to 07:00or 18:00and you have a yellowish warm lighting of Dawn and Dusk.

>One thing that I always wondered was if you could have a>"warm" yellowish lighting in FS instead of white florecent>illumination of landscape!. (When sunny ofcoarse). It seems>like this is done so in some of the pics, but not others. If you crack open any of the sky bitmaps, you'll find that there are a row of pixels across the top. Those pixels define world lighting: directional and ambient. One set is for the world (terrain, aircraft, scenery, etc), and one set is for clouds. (I forget which is first, but I *think* it's world, then clouds). The lighter color tends to be the directional component, the darker the ambient.You can play with those pixels easily in Paint...Cheers,J

>wow..thanks. No worries Frank.We built it that way so people could mess with it.

how about changing the lighting so the sun doesnt shine through walls and lights on the ground dont flash when a cloud goes infront of it!

>how about changing the lighting so the sun doesnt shine>through walls and lights on the ground dont flash when a cloud>goes infront of it!Alex,Could you explain this a bit better?"...lights on the ground dont flash when a cloud goes infront of it!"I don't understand what you're talking about here.As far as the other thing goes...Because FS has a dynamic lighting system, one that changes as the sun position moves across the sky, our lighting model is a bit on the simplified side (ambient + directional). There are some changes in the new code that enhance this a bit.Cheers,Jason

Ok for example, youre sitting in the VC of your favorite aircraft, you move your eyepoint to where the sun happens to be, behind the airplane. what happens? the view "brightens up" as if you were looking directly into the sun.Also, when the sun is behind the aircraft, the VC is bright, when the sun is infront of the aircraft, the VC is dark. Its as if walls of the aircraft model mean nothing to the lighting engineAbout the lights flashing, the addon UT USA and Alaska/Canada have a problem where the night lighting on the ground starts to flicker and flash when there are clouds in the sky that are drawn between the ground lights and your viewpoint

>Ok for example, youre sitting in the VC of your favorite>aircraft, you move your eyepoint to where the sun happens to>be, behind the airplane. what happens? the view "brightens up">as if you were looking directly into the sun.>>Also, when the sun is behind the aircraft, the VC is bright,>when the sun is infront of the aircraft, the VC is dark. Its>as if walls of the aircraft model mean nothing to the lighting>engine>>About the lights flashing, the addon UT USA and Alaska/Canada>have a problem where the night lighting on the ground starts>to flicker and flash when there are clouds in the sky that are>drawn between the ground lights and your viewpointAlex,I understood the first part, and that was what my comment about our lighting system references. It was the second issue (with UT) that I didn't get from your original statement. That's a z sort issue.Cheers,Jason