Sign in to follow this  
himmelhorse

Saitek controller assignments

Hello all,

Apologies firstly because this is likely to be a fairly long conversation.

1.   I would like to start with a problem that has cropped up recently (since my last re-install)

After three or four flights (on different days) I find that all my Saitek controller settings revert to default. This results in an hour long exercise in re-assigning all of my controller settings. As all the assignments I use are Saitek controller based, I delete probably 90% of the assigned settings and re-assign the ones  I use.

My Controllers are:

Yoke

Trim 

2 x USB Throttle Quadrants

Rudder Pedals

Please note that I do not have the throttle Quadrant which plugs directly into the back of the Yoke.  I believe that this may well be the root cause of the problem. This is not really logical, mainly because of the fact that the settings stay in place for a couple of days at least, before reverting back to default.

I would love to know why this happens and any method that may circumvent the constant re-assigning of controllers. 

The procedure I use is to start P3Dv4.5.... go to Options/key assignments/Yoke .... delete all assignments not relevant and assign the one that are, ie views (F1 through F6)  TOGA, manual landing gear down etc. I note also some anomolies during this procedure (key assignments/default settings)

a.  There are 16 "look reset" assignments and I do not know why these would be normal or usable?

b. Two keys are assigned  to Pause simulator ... "Pause" button and I cannot find that key on any keyboard that I own as well as  the key "P"

I then press OK and go back to Options and repeat this procedure (remove key assignments) from all my other controllers.

2.   Axis Assignments. Procedures followed

a. Mouse Yoke Axis assignments are all deleted in total.  Press OK/Options/calibrations/sensitivities all set back to zero (no sensitivity) 

b. Mouse Look assignment ditto

c. Trim Wheel, surprisingly, only has "Elevator Trim" assigned by default. Press OK, Options/Calibrations/Sensitivity and Null set as required.
d. Flight Yoke  I set only the Ailerons and Elevator axis and delete the Throttle Axis assigned as default Press OK, Options/Calibrations/Sensitivity and Null set as required.

e. Quadrant 1 (USB) Delete Ailerons/Elevator axis (default) and re-assign to Spoiler/Throttle1 and 2 axis Press OK, Options/Calibrations/Sensitivity and Null set as required.

f. Quadrant 2 (USB) Delete Ailerons/Elevator axis (default) and re-assign to Throttle 3 and 4/Flaps axis. Press OK, Options/Calibrations/Sensitivity and Null set as required.

g. Rudder pedals.  Delete Ailerons/Elevator axis (default) and re-assign Brakes left/right and Rudder axis. Press OK, Options/Calibrations/Sensitivity and Null set as required.

During this procedure I am noting that each and every controller is being assigned or has been assigned a "Button" to Landing gear, flaps, release droppable objects, and cycle views and have to be deleted in each controller set up. 

If this is not deleted things like the landing gear keep getting recycled intermittently as one would expect. I have scrutinised my rudder pedals and my trim wheel, but cannot find a "button 7" on either, however, P3D has managed to assign it to them.

Exit P3D

On start up, all is ok and remains that way for up to four days or four applications of P3D.

I have looked extensively on the P3D site and in the forums but cannot see anything remotely associated with these problems. most of these assignment problems I had with FSX and with P3Dv1 v2 v3 and now v4. It happens with each and every re-install. I am now wondering if this is a problem which has never been pointed out to Microsoft or P3D and therefore never addressed. Given the same problems in each iteration of this simulation, i have assumed that it is a carryover from the original FSX and not really a problem with my set up.  Someone up above may well have singled me out for a small level of frustration instead of inflicting it on everybody.

I am very very interested in your thoughts and welcome some respite here.

Regards

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

You can save (export) control settings on the left low conner of control settings, and Import later.

BTW I had many controllers too, while I had sometimes All of them revert to defaul, recently, only My saitek throttle (and only saitek one for now) would go default occasional, which cause full deflection of elevator and aliron, not sure if it'e the saiket(now logitech actually)'s problem...

Also, most of my controller are assign by FSUIPC, that seems more robust, but if P3D one revert to default, I still need to delete them.(by import setting)

Edited by C2615